From: Jeff Shaw <jeffrey.b.shaw@intel.com>
To: Anjali Kulkarni <anjali@juniper.net>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Demos at IDF conference using DDIO
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:11:24 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 03:19:31PM +0000, Anjali Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There were a few DPDK demos at IDF, and from one of them I gathered that you can use DDIO to enhance performance by using certain lookup APIs in DPDK. Can someone shed light on this? Is DDIO enabled by default? It is available only on the v3 chip and needs DPDK 1.7 or how can get the performance boost of DDIO in my application?
>
> Thanks
> Anjali

Intel(R) Data Direct I/O Technology (Intel(R) DDIO) is a feature introduced with the Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E5 family.
It has been around for several years and is available at least on all Xeon E5 processors. DDIO is part of the platform, so any DPDK version can take advantage of the feature.  There are several papers and videos available on the Internet that can provide more details.

Thanks,
Jeff