* [dpdk-dev] Making DPDK.org more vendor neutral
@ 2015-01-31 20:47 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-01-31 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I think that DPDK.org should be as neutral in all public communications.

This bothers me:
"If you need some specific drivers or networking stacks, you should contact a company that provides such extensions."

This tag line is a link to page describing 6wind and other vendors leaves a biased taint
on the initial impression. It would be best to only put in historical data
about the contributing companies and a vague reference to commercial support being
available.

It is not like kernel.org has links to SUSE and RHEL. We need to make DPDK.org
independent.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Making DPDK.org more vendor neutral
@ 2015-01-31 21:20 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-01-31 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

Hi Stephen,

2015-01-31 20:47, Stephen Hemminger:
> I think that DPDK.org should be as neutral in all public communications.

I agree and thought it was already OK.

> This bothers me:
> "If you need some specific drivers or networking stacks, you should contact a company that provides such extensions."
>
> This tag line is a link to page describing 6wind and other vendors leaves a biased taint
> on the initial impression. It would be best to only put in historical data
> about the contributing companies and a vague reference to commercial support being
> available.

Maybe that these words leave a biased taint, as you say.
The goal is to show that DPDK ecosystem can offer some services and support
if needed. It's an important information when choosing to use a software.
We can try to reword it as you suggest.

> It is not like kernel.org has links to SUSE and RHEL. We need to make DPDK.org
> independent.

Linux is very well known and its ecosystem is really huge.
I hope that one day, everybody will be confident enough to not hesitate
choosing DPDK. We made huge progress for 2 years by opening the development
process but I feel it's too early to be compared with kernel.org ;)

Thank you for your report, we'll try to fix it at best.
--
Thomas

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Making DPDK.org more vendor neutral
@ 2015-01-31 21:55 ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2015-01-31 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 08:47:10PM +0000, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> I think that DPDK.org should be as neutral in all public communications.
>
> This bothers me:
> "If you need some specific drivers or networking stacks, you should contact a company that provides such extensions."
>
> This tag line is a link to page describing 6wind and other vendors leaves a biased taint
> on the initial impression. It would be best to only put in historical data
> about the contributing companies and a vague reference to commercial support being
> available.
>
> It is not like kernel.org has links to SUSE and RHEL. We need to make DPDK.org
> independent.

I agree.  Aspirations to greater neutrality can do nothing but bring in
additional developers.
Neil