From: Gleb Natapov <gleb@cloudius-systems.com>
To: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: [dpdk-dev] i40e and RSS woes
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:36:54 +0200	[thread overview]

I have an application that works reasonably well with ixgbe driver, but
when I try to use it with i40e I encounter various RSS related issues.

First one is that for some reason i40e, when it builds default reta
table, round down number of queues to power of two. Why is this? If I
configure reta by my own using all of the queues everything seams to be
working. To add insult to injury I do not get any errors during
configuration some queues just do not receive any traffic.

The second problem is that for some reason i40e does not use 40 byte
toeplitz hash key like any other driver, but it expects the key to be 52
bytes. And it would have being fine (if we ignore the fact that it
contradicts MS spec), but how my high level code suppose to know that?
And again, device configuration does not fail when wrong key length is
provided, it just uses some other key. Guys this kind of error handling
is completely unacceptable.

The last one is more of a question. Why interface to change RSS hash
function (XOR or toeplitz) is part of a filter configuration and not rss
config?

--
			Gleb.