* [dpdk-dev] BUG: DPDK i40e does not work with VFIO
@ 2015-11-05 17:19 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-11-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helin Zhang, dev, Jesse Brandeburg, Ronciak, John

On my machine, i40e will not startup if using VFIO.

PMD: rte_i40evf_pmd_init():  >>
PMD: rte_i40e_pmd_init():  >>
PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init():  >>
PMD: i40e_set_symmetric_hash_enable_per_port(): Symmetric hash has already been disabled
PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to init adminq: -54

The normal Linux driver works correctly. Firmware has been updated to the latest version.

Like my earlier experience with fm10k, I suspect that Intel never tests i40e with IOMMU,
and only tested with igb_uio.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] BUG: DPDK i40e does not work with VFIO
@ 2015-11-06 17:26 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2015-11-06 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helin Zhang, dev, Jesse Brandeburg, Ronciak, John

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:19:25 -0800
Stephen Hemminger <shemming@brocade.com> wrote:

> On my machine, i40e will not startup if using VFIO.
>
> PMD: rte_i40evf_pmd_init():  >>
> PMD: rte_i40e_pmd_init():  >>
> PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init():  >>
> PMD: i40e_set_symmetric_hash_enable_per_port(): Symmetric hash has already been disabled
> PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to init adminq: -54
>
> The normal Linux driver works correctly. Firmware has been updated to the latest version.
>
> Like my earlier experience with fm10k, I suspect that Intel never tests i40e with IOMMU,
> and only tested with igb_uio.

I found the issue. It was a problem with older version of Xen DOM0 patches
which were still outstanding in the internal development package.