* [dpdk-dev] Minimum kernel version for DPDK
@ 2018-08-20  8:46 Kevin Wilson
From: Kevin Wilson @ 2018-08-20  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi all,
Maybe this is a silly question, please bear with me.

According to the “Getting Started Guide for Linux” in
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.html,
the kernel version should be >= 3.2.
Accrding to my understanding, there are only two kernel modules in DPDK,
namely rte_kni.ko and igb_iuo.ko.
Instead of igb_uio.ko I intend to use uio_pci_generic.ko for binding the device.

I want to work with DPDK with kernel 3.1, without using rte_kni and no igb_uio
as mentioned.

Won't the DPDK code compile for such a kernel ? won't it work ?

Regards,
Kevin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Minimum kernel version for DPDK
@ 2018-08-20 12:13 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2018-08-20 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wilson; +Cc: dev

> On Aug 20, 2018, at 3:46 AM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> Maybe this is a silly question, please bear with me.
>
> According to the “Getting Started Guide for Linux” in
> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.html,
> the kernel version should be >= 3.2.
> Accrding to my understanding, there are only two kernel modules in DPDK,
> namely rte_kni.ko and igb_iuo.ko.
> Instead of igb_uio.ko I intend to use uio_pci_generic.ko for binding the device.
>
> I want to work with DPDK with kernel 3.1, without using rte_kni and no igb_uio
> as mentioned.
>
> Won't the DPDK code compile for such a kernel ? won't it work ?

I would assume so as long as the kernel has huge page support. If I remember correctly that was one of the big issues with older kernels.

> Regards,
> Kevin

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Minimum kernel version for DPDK
@ 2018-08-20 15:06 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-08-20 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wilson; +Cc: dev

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:46:25 +0300
Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Maybe this is a silly question, please bear with me.
>
> According to the “Getting Started Guide for Linux” in
> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/sys_reqs.html,
> the kernel version should be >= 3.2.
> Accrding to my understanding, there are only two kernel modules in DPDK,
> namely rte_kni.ko and igb_iuo.ko.
> Instead of igb_uio.ko I intend to use uio_pci_generic.ko for binding the device.
>
> I want to work with DPDK with kernel 3.1, without using rte_kni and no igb_uio
> as mentioned.
>
> Won't the DPDK code compile for such a kernel ? won't it work ?
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

I would never build and deploy an application a kernel older than
the current Long Term Supported kernel (3.16). If you are  an unsupported
kernel, you put yourself at risk of the next big security attack.
If you are selling a product, then using older kernels is just
asking it to be pawned.