From: Olivier Matz <olivier.matz@6wind.com>
To: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
Cc: Shyam Shrivastav <shrivastav.shyam@gmail.com>,
	lidejun1@huawei.com, users <users@dpdk.org>,
	dev@dpdk.org, lichunhe@huawei.com, zhangxufeng4@huawei.com
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] IPV4/IPV6 TCP/UDP Pseudo Header Checksum APIs
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 11:01:58 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

You are right, the current code does not take IP or IPv6 options
in account. I think this should be considered as a bug.

The fix for IPv4 is not complicated, I did a quick draft here:
http://git.droids-corp.org/?p=dpdk.git;a=commitdiff;h=96a6978ef6814e1450e1bd65fbce91c3d85b3121

For IPv6, it is more complex than expected:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2460.html#section-8.1

- we need to skip extension headers
- we need to parse routing headers and use the proper destination
  address in the pseudo header checksum

This makes me think that the API is not adequate. Asking the user
to provide the headers in a contiguous memory without specifying
the length is quite dangerous, especially if the header comes from
outside, as it can trigger out of bound accesses.

I wonder if we shouldn't switch to a mbuf based API instead, and
deprecate the old one.

Thoughts?
Olivier