* [dpdk-dev] Projects depending on make (versus meson)
@ 2019-01-07 18:21 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-01-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

I recently bumped into NFF-go which probably will have problems with meson build.
It puts dpdk and pktgen-dpdk in as git submodules and then builds it all together
with Go environment.

The current model is a nuisance because can't get Mellanox drivers for Azure by
default.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Projects depending on make (versus meson)
@ 2019-01-08 10:44 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-01-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev, Bruce Richardson

07/01/2019 19:21, Stephen Hemminger:
> I recently bumped into NFF-go which probably will have problems with meson build.
> It puts dpdk and pktgen-dpdk in as git submodules and then builds it all together
> with Go environment.

You mean they must switch to meson and use DPDK discovery with pkg-config?
Do you see any blocker?

> The current model is a nuisance because can't get Mellanox drivers for Azure by
> default.

In the make build system, some libraries (like Mellanox drivers) must be
explicitly enabled by modifying the .config file before running make.
There should be a hook in the app build system to allow some tuning.
Anyway, as you mentioned above, better to switch to meson.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Projects depending on make (versus meson)
@ 2019-01-08 10:55   ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2019-01-08 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, dev

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 11:44:03AM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 07/01/2019 19:21, Stephen Hemminger:
> > I recently bumped into NFF-go which probably will have problems with meson build.
> > It puts dpdk and pktgen-dpdk in as git submodules and then builds it all together
> > with Go environment.
>
> You mean they must switch to meson and use DPDK discovery with pkg-config?
> Do you see any blocker?
>
> > The current model is a nuisance because can't get Mellanox drivers for Azure by
> > default.
>
> In the make build system, some libraries (like Mellanox drivers) must be
> explicitly enabled by modifying the .config file before running make.
> There should be a hook in the app build system to allow some tuning.

One thing I've been considering for our meson build system, is possibly
adding in a config option to explicitly request specific drivers to be
built and error out if they cannot be. Right now, it's all based on what is
available - there is no way to tell meson to error out the config if the
dependencies for the Mellanox drivers, or the QAT crypto drivers are
missing.
Thoughts (and patches :-)) welcome.

/Bruce