* [dpdk-dev] KNI for FreeBSD.
@ 2019-05-14 10:27 Amin Saba
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Amin Saba @ 2019-05-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi all,

Are there any specific issues in FreeBSD that have prevented implementation
of KNI?

Is implementation of KNI for FreeBSD in your roadmap?

Thanks in adv,
Amin

* [dpdk-dev] KNI for FreeBSD.
@ 2019-05-14 10:27 ` Amin Saba
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Amin Saba @ 2019-05-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi all,

Are there any specific issues in FreeBSD that have prevented implementation
of KNI?

Is implementation of KNI for FreeBSD in your roadmap?

Thanks in adv,
Amin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI for FreeBSD.
@ 2019-05-14 11:21 ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2019-05-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Saba, dev

On 14-May-19 11:27 AM, Amin Saba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any specific issues in FreeBSD that have prevented implementation
> of KNI?
>
> Is implementation of KNI for FreeBSD in your roadmap?
>
> Thanks in adv,
> Amin

Hi,

I am not aware of KNI for FreeBSD being on a roadmap. I also don't think
anyone looked at it in any serious way as to figure out if there are
specific issues that prevent KNI from working on FreeBSD.

Anatoly

From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2019-05-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Saba, dev

@ 2019-05-14 11:35 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2019-05-14 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Saba; +Cc: dev, parasjha13, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger

On 5/14/2019 11:27 AM, Amin Saba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any specific issues in FreeBSD that have prevented implementation
> of KNI?
>
> Is implementation of KNI for FreeBSD in your roadmap?

It is not in the roadmap as far as I know.

cc'ed Paras, if I remember correctly he also mentioned from this support in the
past, perhaps there can be some collaboration.

The issue I can think of as a blocker is a new kernel module code in the DPDK
repo, previously guidance was to upstream kernel related code into kernel source.
cc'ed Thomas & Stephen.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI for FreeBSD.
@ 2019-05-14 11:35   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2019-05-14 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Saba; +Cc: dev, parasjha13, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger

On 5/14/2019 11:27 AM, Amin Saba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any specific issues in FreeBSD that have prevented implementation
> of KNI?
>
> Is implementation of KNI for FreeBSD in your roadmap?

It is not in the roadmap as far as I know.

cc'ed Paras, if I remember correctly he also mentioned from this support in the
past, perhaps there can be some collaboration.

The issue I can think of as a blocker is a new kernel module code in the DPDK
repo, previously guidance was to upstream kernel related code into kernel source.
cc'ed Thomas & Stephen.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI for FreeBSD.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-14 12:37 ` Ray Kinsella
From: Ray Kinsella @ 2019-05-14 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Saba, dev

Doesn't netmap achieve similar functionality ?

examples/netmap_compat/

Ray K

On 14/05/2019 11:27, Amin Saba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any specific issues in FreeBSD that have prevented implementation
> of KNI?
>
> Is implementation of KNI for FreeBSD in your roadmap?
>
> Thanks in adv,
> Amin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI for FreeBSD.
@ 2019-05-14 12:37   ` Ray Kinsella
From: Ray Kinsella @ 2019-05-14 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Saba, dev

Doesn't netmap achieve similar functionality ?

examples/netmap_compat/

Ray K

On 14/05/2019 11:27, Amin Saba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any specific issues in FreeBSD that have prevented implementation
> of KNI?
>
> Is implementation of KNI for FreeBSD in your roadmap?
>
> Thanks in adv,
> Amin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] KNI for FreeBSD.
@ 2019-05-14 12:42   ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2019-05-14 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Kinsella; +Cc: Amin Saba, dev

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 01:37:36PM +0100, Ray Kinsella wrote:
> Doesn't netmap achieve similar functionality ?
>
> examples/netmap_compat/
>
> Ray K

No, I don't think so. AFAIK, netmap is for pulling packets from the NIC
into userspace. This is going from userspace to the kernel - the tap PMD
might be the best equivalent, though performance may be a challenge.

/Bruce

From: Bruce Richardson @ 2019-05-14 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Kinsella; +Cc: Amin Saba, dev