* [dpdk-dev] Running dpdk application inside virtual machine created on VirtualBox
@ 2019-07-04  5:58 Shailja Pandey
From: Shailja Pandey @ 2019-07-04  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I am trying to run dpdk application inside a virtual machine (Ubuntu
16.04) deployed in Oracle Virtualbox. The host machine is also the same
Ubuntu 16.04. I am running l2fwd application in the VM and the packets
are being generated using pktgen-DPDK running on other physical machine.
The issue I am facing is  that I am not able to redirect packets
reaching the host machine to the virtual machine and hence the l2fwd
application running inside VM shows zero packet counts. I am
successfully binding network interfaces on virtual machine to use
DPDK-compatible driver. I think I am missing something while binding the
physical network interfaces to the virtual machine. Some discussion
forum suggests using device passthrough to achieve this. I am not able
to figure out exactly what is to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

Output of lspci | grep Ether :

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller
10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller
10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710
for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 02)
05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710
for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 02)

Shailja

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Running dpdk application inside virtual machine created on VirtualBox
@ 2019-07-04 14:43 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-07-04 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shailja Pandey; +Cc: dev

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 11:28:13 +0530
Shailja Pandey <csz168117@iitd.ac.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run dpdk application inside a virtual machine (Ubuntu
> 16.04) deployed in Oracle Virtualbox. The host machine is also the same
> Ubuntu 16.04. I am running l2fwd application in the VM and the packets
> are being generated using pktgen-DPDK running on other physical machine.
> The issue I am facing is  that I am not able to redirect packets
> reaching the host machine to the virtual machine and hence the l2fwd
> application running inside VM shows zero packet counts. I am
> successfully binding network interfaces on virtual machine to use
> DPDK-compatible driver. I think I am missing something while binding the
> physical network interfaces to the virtual machine. Some discussion
> forum suggests using device passthrough to achieve this. I am not able
> to figure out exactly what is to be done. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Output of lspci | grep Ether :
>
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
> Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
> 02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
> Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
> Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
> 03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720
> Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
> 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller
> 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
> 04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller
> 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01)
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710
> for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 02)
> 05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XL710
> for 40GbE QSFP+ (rev 02)

Most virtualization environments impose network spoofing rules such
that a guest is only allowed to receive and send packets for its own
mac address.  I am not familiar with Virtual Box settings, but
there maybe a way to override this.