From: Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
To: Muhammad Ahmad <muhammad.ahmad@emumba.com>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] A REST API based daemon of dpdk-devbind.py
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 13:59:19 +0000

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 12:11:05PM +0500, Muhammad Ahmad wrote:
> Hi,
> I have observed that the dpdk-devbind.py is an interactive tool and
> not quite useful for automated testing in CI/CD. We are planning to
> create “dpdk-usertools-server” for making it streamlined.
> The idea is to create a separate application, which provides REST interface to:
>     - Query the current status of devices and drivers
>     - Bind and unbind devices to different drivers
>
> Future extensions will be to make dpdk-pmdinfo.py, cpu_layout.py and
> dpdk-setup.sh more automation friendly.

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by an "interactive tool", since devbind contains
no menus or interactive prompts. It's a commandline tool driven by
parameters passed - in the same way as ethtool, ip, and various other
standard Linux tools. I personally use it regularly in scripts, e.g. the
rc.local script on my test system to automatically adjust bindings on boot.

That being said, I can see why someone might want a rest tool to query and
adjust these settings, I'm just not sure if DPDK is the best place to host
such scripts. Would that functionality not be better built into other
existing tools for configuring and managing systems?

Regards,
/Bruce