* [dpdk-dev] input port in mbuf
@ 2020-05-06 19:21 Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2020-05-06 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpdk-dev; +Cc: Liron Himi

Hi,

We need to save the input port in the mbuf in order to return the buffer to the right hw pool.
For now we use the 'port' in the mbuf as it is supposed to be for this exact purpose.
But we noticed that some applications are override it with the destination port.

What should be the right behavior?
is there another location that that this information can be stored and read only by the ethdev drivers?

Regards,
Liron

* Re: [dpdk-dev] input port in mbuf
@ 2020-05-06 19:42 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-05-06 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi; +Cc: dpdk-dev

On Wed, 6 May 2020 19:21:30 +0000
Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We need to save the input port in the mbuf in order to return the buffer to the right hw pool.
> For now we use the 'port' in the mbuf as it is supposed to be for this exact purpose.
> But we noticed that some applications are override it with the destination port.
>
> What should be the right behavior?
> is there another location that that this information can be stored and read only by the ethdev drivers?
>
> Regards,
> Liron

There is no requirement that input port is unmodified by the application.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re:  input port in mbuf
@ 2020-05-06 19:48   ` Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2020-05-06 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dpdk-dev, Liron Himi

Fine. Is there another location or option to save this information?

Regards,
Liron

@ 2020-05-06 20:10     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-05-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi; +Cc: dpdk-dev

On Wed, 6 May 2020 19:48:26 +0000
Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:

> Fine. Is there another location or option to save this information?
>
> Regards,
> Liron

The memory pool is already in the mbuf, should go there.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re:  input port in mbuf
@ 2020-05-06 20:17       ` Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2020-05-06 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dpdk-dev, Liron Himi

For performance optimizations, we need to know the input DPDK port as after the buffer was transmitted via our ethdev driver instead of release it back to the memory-pool we can release it to the originated HW pool of the input port.

Regards,
Liron

@ 2020-05-06 20:23         ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-05-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi; +Cc: dpdk-dev

On Wed, 6 May 2020 20:17:20 +0000
Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:

> For performance optimizations, we need to know the input DPDK port as after the buffer was transmitted via our ethdev driver instead of release it back to the memory-pool we can release it to the originated HW pool of the input port.

But you can't be sure where the mbuf came from.
It could be a receive on any vendors driver, or it could be from a private pool
that is  used for transmit, or anywhere.

Please reconsider the real nature here; the world is not testpmd, l2fwd, l3fwd etc.
These are the kind of optimizations that break real applications and cause
more trouble than the benefit for one silly benchmark.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re:  input port in mbuf
@ 2020-05-06 22:10         ` Ananyev, Konstantin
From: Ananyev, Konstantin @ 2020-05-06 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi, Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dpdk-dev

> For performance optimizations, we need to know the input DPDK port as after the buffer was transmitted via our ethdev driver instead of
> release it back to the memory-pool we can release it to the originated HW pool of the input port.

Then I suppose, you can have your own mempool driver,
and do whatever you like there.

@ 2021-01-16 20:01           ` Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2021-01-16 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dpdk-dev, Liron Himi

Hi,

Sorry for rearising this issue again, please check my comments inline

Liron Himi

> For performance optimizations, we need to know the input DPDK port as after the buffer was transmitted via our ethdev driver instead of release it back to the memory-pool we can release it to the originated HW pool of the input port.

But you can't be sure where the mbuf came from.
It could be a receive on any vendors driver, or it could be from a private pool that is  used for transmit, or anywhere.

[L.H.] I'm only referring to PP2->PP2 flow on an Armada platform. For any other flow the transmitted buffer will be returned to its 'mb'.

Please reconsider the real nature here; the world is not testpmd, l2fwd, l3fwd etc.
These are the kind of optimizations that break real applications and cause more trouble than the benefit for one silly benchmark.

[L.H.] I don't want to influence application usage, this is why I asked if there is a location in the mbuf where a driver can put its own info. Like the private area for the application, but just for the input driver.
And if there is no such location right now, will it be acceptable to introduce such one?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re: input port in mbuf
@ 2021-01-27 16:58             ` Tom Barbette
From: Tom Barbette @ 2021-01-27 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi, Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dpdk-dev

Le 16/01/2021 à 21:01, Liron Himi a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for rearising this issue again, please check my comments inline
>
> Liron Himi

Isn't  it the purpose of RTE Mbuf dynamic fields ? You could register a
field that only your driver knows about.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re: input port in mbuf
@ 2021-01-27 17:59               ` Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2021-01-27 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
Le 16/01/2021 à 21:01, Liron Himi a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for rearising this issue again, please check my comments inline
>
> Liron Himi

[L.H.] Thanks, I will explore this option