From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
To: Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com>
Cc: dpdk-dev <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re:  input port in mbuf
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 13:23:42 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, 6 May 2020 20:17:20 +0000
Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:

> For performance optimizations, we need to know the input DPDK port as after the buffer was transmitted via our ethdev driver instead of release it back to the memory-pool we can release it to the originated HW pool of the input port.

But you can't be sure where the mbuf came from.
It could be a receive on any vendors driver, or it could be from a private pool
that is  used for transmit, or anywhere.

Please reconsider the real nature here; the world is not testpmd, l2fwd, l3fwd etc.
These are the kind of optimizations that break real applications and cause
more trouble than the benefit for one silly benchmark.