From: Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
To: Ibtisam Tariq <ibtisam.tariq@emumba.com>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Difference in make exec-env: linuxapp and linux
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:31:47 +0100

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 03:23:48PM +0500, Ibtisam Tariq wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We have several targets in dpdk/config when compiling using MAKE. The
> dpdk target format is ARCH-MACHINE-EXECENV-TOOLCHAIN where EXECENV can
> be linux, linuxapp, freebsd and bsdapp. What is the difference between
> linuxapp and linux?
>
> It seems the same because they both have the same .config files.

They are indeed the same, they are just aliases for the same config files.

Please note though, that from DPDK 20.11 release onwards, the Make build
system will be removed from DPDK, and you should use meson and ninja
instead to build DPDK, and thereafter use the libdpdk.pc pkg-config file to
compile and link applications against the DPDK instance.

Regards,
/Bruce