DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: Olivier Matz <olivier.matz@6wind.com>
To: dev@dpdk.org, DPDK Techboard <techboard@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-dev] Minutes of Technical Board Meeting, 2020-12-16
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 08:52:26 +0100
Message-ID: <20210104075226.GH2631@platinum> (raw)

Minutes of Technical Board Meeting, 2020-12-16

Members Attending
-----------------

- Bruce
- Ferruh
- Hemant
- Honnappa
- Jerin
- Kevin
- Konstantin
- Maxime
- Olivier (chair)
- Stephen
- Thomas

NOTE: The technical board meetings every second Wednesday on Jitsi [0]
at 3pm UTC. Meetings are public and DPDK community members  are welcome
to attend.

NOTE: Next meeting will be on Wednesday 2021-01-13 @3pm UTC, and will be
chaired by Stephen.

1/ Lab investments
==================

Did current 101k /year investment reach the goal we set up earlier?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

- The lab is currently used for performance tests, CI
- It helped to find some functional bugs
- It is needed for baremetal tests or performance tests (which cannot be
  done by a cloud test infrastructure)
- The infrastructure is there, we can use it better

Governing board asks about the proposal to add 30k /year to increase coverage
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The proposal is to increase from 20 to 40 hours per week coverage,
adding 2 more student employees.

One issue now is there is one person every 2 days. Is it possible to
have the same coverage hours, but having an every-day presence?

Governing board asks Techboard to come with a single name as lab owner
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A lab owner is a project manager that tracks what was agreed to do, and
find some help if needed. Ideally, it is a technical person used to
develop in DPDK.

No good solution was found. The following ideas have been mentioned:

a/ Round-robin from techboard? A quarterly basis is too short compared
   to ramp-up time, and longer periods are too long for one person.
b/ Can it be managed by Linux Foundation? (maybe ask Trishan?)
c/ Nobody

Question to ask to Govboard:

- What is the detail of the costs (infrastructure, electricity, people)?

Distributed CI should be high priority, therefore sharing test scripts
is important. It might be easier for a company to pay someone working in
its own lab.

2/ Offline documentation (.pdf) support
=======================================

We can provide an offline-html (archive) format. Indeed, pdf is hard to
maintain, and html is a better format (can be interactive with CSS,
links between different guides, ...).

3/ DPDK build configuration - future enhancements
=================================================

AR to Bruce to create initial version of the DD.
No progress yet.

4/ Asia DPDK Event status
=========================

- CFP should be ready (waiting for translation in mandarin)
- Moderators

- AR: Techboard members to contact chineese colleagues and see who could
  be interrested in moderating
- ~4 people are needed.
  Ruifeng (arm) and Song (arm) kindly volunteered

5/ List of supported OS
=======================

Which distributions should be tested?

In user guide, there is no such list. It looks easier to just advertise
what we test.

6/ List of OS to test in the community lab (compilation and functional)
=======================================================================

- For compilation test: a long distribution list is possible
- For functional / performance test: test some distributions, for
  instance: ubuntu-20.04, ubuntu-18.04, RHEL8, FreeBSD latest stable,
  Windows

7/ Plan for KNI (deprecate? move?)
==================================

Postponed to next meeting

8/ Position regarding TRex using a DPDK fork
============================================

Postponed to next meeting

9/ Update on DTS usability
==========================

Postponed to next meeting

             reply	other threads:[~2021-01-04  7:52 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 2+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2021-01-04  7:52 Olivier Matz [this message]
2021-01-12 15:53 ` Stephen Hemminger

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=20210104075226.GH2631@platinum \
    --to=olivier.matz@6wind.com \
    --cc=dev@dpdk.org \
    --cc=techboard@dpdk.org \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git