From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
To: Shanmugasundaram M <shansirtt@gmail.com>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Reg DPDK EAL log-level=8 options is not throwing any DEBUG messages in /var/log/messages
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 12:29:05 -0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 00:30:24 +0530
Shanmugasundaram M <shansirtt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Team,
>
> we are using 18.11.1-6WIND DPDK. we are trying to get EAL Debug messages
> and we are not able to see any one from them in /var/log/messages. Kindly
> let me know --log-level=8 is enough or --log-level=*8 is correct  OR
> --log-level=eal,debug is correct ?
> Appreciate your quick response.
>
> regards,
> Shanmugasundaram M

DPDK now has log-level on a per-feature level. The old log level was global.
The legacy option is what you are using.

The document is missing about log-level options.

Now log-level takes three forms:
    --log-level=regex,N
    --log-level=pattern:N
    --log-level=N

The first takes a regular expressions so for example:
     -log-level='pmd\..*,8'
Would set logging at debug for Poll Mode Drivers.  Regex period
is match all, not match period.

The second form takes a shell style pattern (glob):
    --log-level='pmd.net.*:debug'
Sets debug log level for all Poll Mode Network drivers.
All forms take numeric or symbolic names for logging levels in current versions

The third form sets the global log level only.

The actual logic around what gets logged or not is a union of
the global and per-logtype argument. So if global log level is
set high (like NOTICE) then no info or debug messages will get printed.

In other words, --log-level=8 has no effect both because it only
sets the global level (and the default global level already is 8).

To turn on all logging. Just do --log-level='.*,8' (or similar)