* [dpdk-dev] New PMD integration to next version release
@ 2021-05-03 10:30 Supriya Shekhar Mane
From: Supriya Shekhar Mane @ 2021-05-03 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Chandrakant Sharpa, Zaheer R M

Hi Maintainers,

We want to open source the *Dakota Ethernet PMD*.
We are ready with changes to be open source.
We want to integrate our changes onto the next release: *19.11.9*
Kindly, guide us with the process and initiation of the same.

Regards,
Supriya Mane

--
Disclaimer:This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject

* Re: [dpdk-dev] New PMD integration to next version release
@ 2021-05-03 12:17 ` Zaheer R M
From: Zaheer R M @ 2021-05-03 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supriya Shekhar Mane, dev; +Cc: Chandrakant Sharpa, Gurusidhesh G H

Hello “DPDK Community”,

We are glad to inform you that we have developed 3 PMDs using DPDK version 19.11.3

One of our premium customer has sponsored to develop DPDK-Ethernet-PMD using WPJ419 Compex Platform and is willing to Contribute to DPDK community.
WPJ419 board uses “Qualcomm Chipset -- Dakota”. There are several commercially available AP / routers based on this platform.
PMD we have developed has successfully completed “Beta Release” and we want to contribute as is to DPDK community.
We are ready with our changes and willing to contribute asap. Further releases shall be submitted in the form of patches.

We are planning to integrate DPDK-Ethernet-PMD to DPDK community in next stable release 19.11.9 i.e. by June 2021.
We have learnt that “A meeting happens at https://meet.jit.si/DPDK every two weeks” to discuss new topic.
Requesting “Technical Board” to add “DPDK-Ethernet-PMD for WPJ419 platform” topic in the agenda and notify scheduled meeting date and time.

With thanks and regards,
Zaheer RM

@ 2021-05-03 16:33 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2021-05-03 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supriya Shekhar Mane; +Cc: dev, Chandrakant Sharpa, Zaheer R M

On Mon, 3 May 2021 16:00:42 +0530
Supriya Shekhar Mane <sm.supriya@globaledgesoft.com> wrote:

> Hi Maintainers,
>
> We want to open source the *Dakota Ethernet PMD*.
> We are ready with changes to be open source.
> We want to integrate our changes onto the next release: *19.11.9*
> Kindly, guide us with the process and initiation of the same.
>
> Regards,
> Supriya Mane

The 19.11 branch is in stable long-term-support mode, and adding
new drivers is not supported.

The DPDK current release is 21.02 and 21.05 is in final release process.
You should submit your driver based on the current main branch which
is 21.05 and then it will likely be picked up for 21.08 release.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] New PMD integration to next version release
@ 2021-05-04  8:41   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2021-05-04  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zaheer R M, Supriya Shekhar Mane, dev
  Cc: Chandrakant Sharpa, Gurusidhesh G H, Stephen Hemminger,
	Thomas Monjalon, David Marchand

On 5/3/2021 1:17 PM, Zaheer R M wrote:
> Hello “DPDK Community”,
>
> We are glad to inform you that we have developed 3 PMDs using DPDK version 19.11.3
>
> One of our premium customer has sponsored to develop DPDK-Ethernet-PMD using WPJ419 Compex Platform and is willing to Contribute to DPDK community.
> WPJ419 board uses “Qualcomm Chipset -- Dakota”. There are several commercially available AP / routers based on this platform.
> PMD we have developed has successfully completed “Beta Release” and we want to contribute as is to DPDK community.
> We are ready with our changes and willing to contribute asap. Further releases shall be submitted in the form of patches.
>
> We are planning to integrate DPDK-Ethernet-PMD to DPDK community in next stable release 19.11.9 i.e. by June 2021.
> We have learnt that “A meeting happens at https://meet.jit.si/DPDK every two weeks” to discuss new topic.
> Requesting “Technical Board” to add “DPDK-Ethernet-PMD for WPJ419 platform” topic in the agenda and notify scheduled meeting date and time.

Hi Supriya and Zaheer,

Great to hear that you are willing to upstream your driver.

There is no need to discuss this in any meeting, although you are welcome to
attend both meetings (both are open to public). All you need to do is send your
patches to the dev mailing list.

As Stephen highlighted, the new features are added to the regular releases, not
to the stable trees, so first thing you need to do is backport it to the regular
release.
We are about to close the v21.05, so next release can be v21.08.

It would be nice if you can send your roadmap update for v21.08, you can find
multiple samples in the mail list, to indicate your intention to add your driver
for v21.08.

And please check the contribution guide documentation, it should have enough
details on how to contribute, expected coding conventions and checks etc..
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/index.html

Thanks,
ferruh