* flow classify library status
@ 2022-10-25 14:37 David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2022-10-25 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev
  Cc: Ferruh Yigit, Konstantin Ananyev, Mcnamara, John,
	Bruce Richardson, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger

Hello,

The flow_classify library has been out and marked experimental for a long time.
Its current maintainer is now leaving the community.

The library did not get much traction: I am not aware of an opensource
project using it.

Are there users of this library?

If we deprecated it (to later drop it), do we already have some
replacement feature in DPDK?

--
David Marchand

* Re: flow classify library status
@ 2022-10-25 15:24 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2022-10-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand, dev
  Cc: Konstantin Ananyev, Mcnamara, John, Bruce Richardson,

On 10/25/2022 3:37 PM, David Marchand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The flow_classify library has been out and marked experimental for a long time.
> Its current maintainer is now leaving the community.
>
> The library did not get much traction: I am not aware of an opensource
> project using it.
>
> Are there users of this library?
>
> If we deprecated it (to later drop it), do we already have some
> replacement feature in DPDK?

+1 to remove it.

As far as I remember initially it started as underlying work to provide
stats with common standards like IPFIX.
But not sure if next stage ever happened.

* Re: flow classify library status
@ 2022-10-25 15:59 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-10-25 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand
  Cc: dev, Ferruh Yigit, Konstantin Ananyev, Mcnamara, John,
	Bruce Richardson, Thomas Monjalon

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:37:24 +0200
David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The flow_classify library has been out and marked experimental for a long time.
> Its current maintainer is now leaving the community.
>
> The library did not get much traction: I am not aware of an opensource
> project using it.
>
> Are there users of this library?
>
> If we deprecated it (to later drop it), do we already have some
> replacement feature in DPDK?

+1 for removal.

Also, it only supported legacy IP

* Re: flow classify library status
@ 2022-10-25 22:57   ` Konstantin Ananyev
From: Konstantin Ananyev @ 2022-10-25 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit, David Marchand, dev
  Cc: Mcnamara, John, Bruce Richardson, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger

25/10/2022 16:24, Ferruh Yigit пишет:
> On 10/25/2022 3:37 PM, David Marchand wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The flow_classify library has been out and marked experimental for a
>> long time.
>> Its current maintainer is now leaving the community.
>>
>> The library did not get much traction: I am not aware of an opensource
>> project using it.
>>
>> Are there users of this library?
>>
>> If we deprecated it (to later drop it), do we already have some
>> replacement feature in DPDK?
>
> +1 to remove it.
>
> As far as I remember initially it started as underlying work to provide
> stats with common standards like IPFIX.
> But not sure if next stage ever happened.

Yep, it didn't work.
Agree to deprecate/remove.