From: Dmitry Kozlyuk <dmitry.kozliuk@gmail.com>
To: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
Cc: "Mattias Rönnblom" <hofors@lysator.liu.se>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,
	"Mattias Rönnblom" <mattias.ronnblom@ericsson.com>,
	"Anatoly Burakov" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>
Subject: Re: rte_malloc() and alignment
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:05:27 +0300	[thread overview]

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:17:31 +0100
> Mattias Rönnblom <hofors@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>
> > The rte_malloc() API documentation has the following to say about the
> > align parameter:
> >
> > "If 0, the return is a pointer that is suitably aligned for any kind of
> > variable (in the same manner as malloc()). Otherwise, the return is a
> > pointer that is a multiple of align. In this case, it must be a power of
> > two. (Minimum alignment is the cacheline size, i.e. 64-bytes)"
> >
> > After reading this, one might be left with the impression that the
> > parenthesis refers to only the "otherwise" (non-zero-align) case, since
> > surely, cache line alignment should be sufficient for any kind of
> > variable and it semantics would be "in the same manner as malloc()".
> >
> > However, in the actual RTE malloc implementation, any align parameter
> > value less than RTE_CACHE_LINE_SIZE results in an alignment of
> > RTE_CACHE_LINE_SIZE, unless I'm missing something.
> >
> > Is there any conceivable scenario where passing a non-zero align
> > parameter is useful?
> >
> > Would it be an improvement to rephrase the documentation to:
> >
> > "The alignment of the allocated memory meets all of the following criteria:
> > 1) able to hold any built-in type.
> > 2) be at least as large as the align parameter.
> > 3) be at least as large as RTE_CACHE_LINE_SIZE.
> >
> > The align parameter must be a power-of-2 or 0.
> > "
> >
> > ...so it actually describes what is implemented? And also adds the
> > theoretical (?) case of a built-in type requiring > RTE_CACHE_LINE_SIZE
> > amount of alignment.
>
> My reading is that align of 0 means that rte_malloc() should act
> same as malloc(), and give alignment for largest type.
>
> Walking through the code, the real work is in and at this point align
> of 0 has been convert to 1. in malloc_heap_alloc_on_heap_id()
>
> /*
>  * Iterates through the freelist for a heap to find a free element with the
>  * biggest size and requested alignment. Will also set size to whatever element
>  * size that was found.
>  * Returns null on failure, or pointer to element on success.
>  */
> static struct malloc_elem *
> find_biggest_element(struct malloc_heap *heap, size_t *size,
> 		unsigned int flags, size_t align, bool contig)
>

> Then the elements are examined with:
>
> size_t
> malloc_elem_find_max_iova_contig(struct malloc_elem *elem, size_t align)
>
> But I don't see anywhere that 0 converts to being aligned on sizeof(double)
> which is the largest type.

One may also read "in the same manner as malloc()" as referring to "suitably
aligned", which means that the alignment is "as suitable as malloc()'s"
and it may also be larger. Then comes the assumption that no built-in type has
alignment larger than a cache line (can vectored types be the case?).

> Not sure who has expertise here?

Added Anatoly.