From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
To: "junwang01@cestc.cn" <junwang01@cestc.cn>
Cc: dev <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: dumpcap coredump for 82599 NIC
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:29:53 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:00:17 +0800
"junwang01@cestc.cn" <junwang01@cestc.cn> wrote:

> Hi, when I use dumpcap to capture packets on the 82559 network card, coredump appears.
> The network card bound to ovs-dpdk is 82599, but when I capture packets in other non-82599 network cards (mellanox CX5/C6 or Intel's E810), it is normal. ,
> the dpdk version I am using is 22.11.1, but I see that the call stack is strange, so I am asking you for help.
>

> I thought the new version of dpdk might solve it, so I upgraded the dpdk version to 23.11, but the problem is still the same, but the call stack is different and weirder.
>

> junwang01@cestc.cn

This is not an issue with dumpcap. The problem is in ixgbe driver.
Some part of the code for checking link status is not safe to be called in
secondary process.

The backtrace looks a bit messed up, since ixgbe driver should not be calling i40e code.
Maybe do a debug build (so more complete symbols available).