DPDK patches and discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
@ 2020-06-18 10:26 Ferruh Yigit
  2020-06-18 14:09 ` Trahe, Fiona
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2020-06-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon

Minutes 18 June 2020
--------------------

Agenda:
* Release Dates
* Subtrees
* LTS
* Opens

Participants:
* Arm
* Debian/Microsoft
* Intel
* Marvell
* Mellanox
* NXP
* Red Hat


Release Dates
-------------

* v20.08 dates:
  * Proposal/V1 deadline passed, it was on Friday 12 June 2020
  * -rc1:           Wednesday, 8 July   2020
  * -rc2:           Monday,   20 July   2020
  * Release:        Tuesday,   4 August 2020


Subtrees
--------

* main
  * Need to update PMD docs to use meson instead of make
  * Pulling from next-net
  * Bitops series merged
  * Windows port progressing
  * If-proxy related, control path discussion not started
    * Need to have discussion for more generic control path
      * Telemetry, if-proxy and others can use this control path
    * Plan was to create a spec for the control path and if-proxy will comply it
  * vfio token, new version is out with two acks
    * Marvell will test and send a tested-by tag
  * Roadmap is more complete in this release
    * Almost all major contributors shared the roadmap
      * 20.08 will be bigger than expected
    * Good indicator that shows project maturity is increasing
    * Will be good to get 20.11 roadmaps early

* next-net
  * Pulled from vendor sub-trees for mlx & intel
    * brcm also has a big base code update not merged yet to vendor tree
  * Some driver patches merged
  * There are a few ethdev patches, discussions going on

* next-crypto
  * Will start reviews next week

* next-eventdev
  * There is a new PMD from Intel (DLB) which cause ABI breakage
    * There will be new versions to prevent ABI break
  * Will merge some patches next week

* next-virtio
  * There are several series under review
  * Planning to send a pull request tomorrow
  * Big refactor on vdpa, there are API changes
  * Would like to get more reviews
    * Chenbo will support from Intel side

* next-net-mlx
  * Some patches pulled to next-net, more expected for release

* next-net-intel
  * Qi will take over the next-net-intel

* next-net-mrvl
  * A few patches will be merged
    * Will check if mvneta & mvpp2 PMDs are still active


LTS
---

* v19.11.3-rc1 is out, please test
  * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-June/169263.html
  * Test results from Intel, Mellanox, Red Hat & OvS
  * Waiting for results from Microsoft, expecting to have it today/tomorrow
  * Planning to release today/tomorrow after Microsoft test result

* v18.11.9 in progress
  * Issues with gcc10 for KNI ethtool which is still exist in 18.11
  * -rc1 expected this week


Opens
-----

* DPDK Userspace Summit, CFP is open
  * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/announce/2020-April/000317.html
  * More to come related "DPDK Userspace Summit" soon



DPDK Release Status Meetings
============================

The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss the
status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to track
progress or milestone dates.

The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK

If you wish to attend just send an email to
"John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
  2020-06-18 10:26 [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020 Ferruh Yigit
@ 2020-06-18 14:09 ` Trahe, Fiona
  2020-06-18 15:26   ` Ferruh Yigit
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Trahe, Fiona @ 2020-06-18 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yigit, Ferruh, dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon, Trahe, Fiona, Mcnamara, John

Hi all,

If there's a cryptodev API change planned for 20.11 (an ABI breakage), is it necessary
to send a deprecation notice in 20.08?
Or can this just be worked during the normal 20.11 patch review cycle?

Regards,
Fiona 


> -----Original Message-----
> From: dev <dev-bounces@dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Ferruh Yigit
> Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:26 AM
> To: dev@dpdk.org
> Cc: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> Subject: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
> 
> Minutes 18 June 2020
> --------------------
> 
> Agenda:
> * Release Dates
> * Subtrees
> * LTS
> * Opens
> 
> Participants:
> * Arm
> * Debian/Microsoft
> * Intel
> * Marvell
> * Mellanox
> * NXP
> * Red Hat
> 
> 
> Release Dates
> -------------
> 
> * v20.08 dates:
>   * Proposal/V1 deadline passed, it was on Friday 12 June 2020
>   * -rc1:           Wednesday, 8 July   2020
>   * -rc2:           Monday,   20 July   2020
>   * Release:        Tuesday,   4 August 2020
> 
> 
> Subtrees
> --------
> 
> * main
>   * Need to update PMD docs to use meson instead of make
>   * Pulling from next-net
>   * Bitops series merged
>   * Windows port progressing
>   * If-proxy related, control path discussion not started
>     * Need to have discussion for more generic control path
>       * Telemetry, if-proxy and others can use this control path
>     * Plan was to create a spec for the control path and if-proxy will comply it
>   * vfio token, new version is out with two acks
>     * Marvell will test and send a tested-by tag
>   * Roadmap is more complete in this release
>     * Almost all major contributors shared the roadmap
>       * 20.08 will be bigger than expected
>     * Good indicator that shows project maturity is increasing
>     * Will be good to get 20.11 roadmaps early
> 
> * next-net
>   * Pulled from vendor sub-trees for mlx & intel
>     * brcm also has a big base code update not merged yet to vendor tree
>   * Some driver patches merged
>   * There are a few ethdev patches, discussions going on
> 
> * next-crypto
>   * Will start reviews next week
> 
> * next-eventdev
>   * There is a new PMD from Intel (DLB) which cause ABI breakage
>     * There will be new versions to prevent ABI break
>   * Will merge some patches next week
> 
> * next-virtio
>   * There are several series under review
>   * Planning to send a pull request tomorrow
>   * Big refactor on vdpa, there are API changes
>   * Would like to get more reviews
>     * Chenbo will support from Intel side
> 
> * next-net-mlx
>   * Some patches pulled to next-net, more expected for release
> 
> * next-net-intel
>   * Qi will take over the next-net-intel
> 
> * next-net-mrvl
>   * A few patches will be merged
>     * Will check if mvneta & mvpp2 PMDs are still active
> 
> 
> LTS
> ---
> 
> * v19.11.3-rc1 is out, please test
>   * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-June/169263.html
>   * Test results from Intel, Mellanox, Red Hat & OvS
>   * Waiting for results from Microsoft, expecting to have it today/tomorrow
>   * Planning to release today/tomorrow after Microsoft test result
> 
> * v18.11.9 in progress
>   * Issues with gcc10 for KNI ethtool which is still exist in 18.11
>   * -rc1 expected this week
> 
> 
> Opens
> -----
> 
> * DPDK Userspace Summit, CFP is open
>   * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/announce/2020-April/000317.html
>   * More to come related "DPDK Userspace Summit" soon
> 
> 
> 
> DPDK Release Status Meetings
> ============================
> 
> The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss the
> status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to track
> progress or milestone dates.
> 
> The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK
> 
> If you wish to attend just send an email to
> "John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
  2020-06-18 14:09 ` Trahe, Fiona
@ 2020-06-18 15:26   ` Ferruh Yigit
  2020-06-18 15:30     ` Thomas Monjalon
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2020-06-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trahe, Fiona, dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon, Mcnamara, John

On 6/18/2020 3:09 PM, Trahe, Fiona wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> If there's a cryptodev API change planned for 20.11 (an ABI breakage), is it necessary
> to send a deprecation notice in 20.08?
> Or can this just be worked during the normal 20.11 patch review cycle?

As far as I got it, it needs to follow the regular deprecation process. Which is
deprecation notice should be sent and merged (with 3 acks) in 20.08, so that it
can be changed in 20.11.

It can be good to highlight this, perhaps in next release status meeting, since
there may be some ABI changes waiting for 20.11, this release is last change for
them to send a deprecation notice.

> 
> Regards,
> Fiona
> 
> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: dev <dev-bounces@dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Ferruh Yigit
>> Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:26 AM
>> To: dev@dpdk.org
>> Cc: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
>> Subject: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
>>
>> Minutes 18 June 2020
>> --------------------
>>
>> Agenda:
>> * Release Dates
>> * Subtrees
>> * LTS
>> * Opens
>>
>> Participants:
>> * Arm
>> * Debian/Microsoft
>> * Intel
>> * Marvell
>> * Mellanox
>> * NXP
>> * Red Hat
>>
>>
>> Release Dates
>> -------------
>>
>> * v20.08 dates:
>>   * Proposal/V1 deadline passed, it was on Friday 12 June 2020
>>   * -rc1:           Wednesday, 8 July   2020
>>   * -rc2:           Monday,   20 July   2020
>>   * Release:        Tuesday,   4 August 2020
>>
>>
>> Subtrees
>> --------
>>
>> * main
>>   * Need to update PMD docs to use meson instead of make
>>   * Pulling from next-net
>>   * Bitops series merged
>>   * Windows port progressing
>>   * If-proxy related, control path discussion not started
>>     * Need to have discussion for more generic control path
>>       * Telemetry, if-proxy and others can use this control path
>>     * Plan was to create a spec for the control path and if-proxy will comply it
>>   * vfio token, new version is out with two acks
>>     * Marvell will test and send a tested-by tag
>>   * Roadmap is more complete in this release
>>     * Almost all major contributors shared the roadmap
>>       * 20.08 will be bigger than expected
>>     * Good indicator that shows project maturity is increasing
>>     * Will be good to get 20.11 roadmaps early
>>
>> * next-net
>>   * Pulled from vendor sub-trees for mlx & intel
>>     * brcm also has a big base code update not merged yet to vendor tree
>>   * Some driver patches merged
>>   * There are a few ethdev patches, discussions going on
>>
>> * next-crypto
>>   * Will start reviews next week
>>
>> * next-eventdev
>>   * There is a new PMD from Intel (DLB) which cause ABI breakage
>>     * There will be new versions to prevent ABI break
>>   * Will merge some patches next week
>>
>> * next-virtio
>>   * There are several series under review
>>   * Planning to send a pull request tomorrow
>>   * Big refactor on vdpa, there are API changes
>>   * Would like to get more reviews
>>     * Chenbo will support from Intel side
>>
>> * next-net-mlx
>>   * Some patches pulled to next-net, more expected for release
>>
>> * next-net-intel
>>   * Qi will take over the next-net-intel
>>
>> * next-net-mrvl
>>   * A few patches will be merged
>>     * Will check if mvneta & mvpp2 PMDs are still active
>>
>>
>> LTS
>> ---
>>
>> * v19.11.3-rc1 is out, please test
>>   * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-June/169263.html
>>   * Test results from Intel, Mellanox, Red Hat & OvS
>>   * Waiting for results from Microsoft, expecting to have it today/tomorrow
>>   * Planning to release today/tomorrow after Microsoft test result
>>
>> * v18.11.9 in progress
>>   * Issues with gcc10 for KNI ethtool which is still exist in 18.11
>>   * -rc1 expected this week
>>
>>
>> Opens
>> -----
>>
>> * DPDK Userspace Summit, CFP is open
>>   * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/announce/2020-April/000317.html
>>   * More to come related "DPDK Userspace Summit" soon
>>
>>
>>
>> DPDK Release Status Meetings
>> ============================
>>
>> The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss the
>> status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to track
>> progress or milestone dates.
>>
>> The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK
>>
>> If you wish to attend just send an email to
>> "John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
  2020-06-18 15:26   ` Ferruh Yigit
@ 2020-06-18 15:30     ` Thomas Monjalon
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-06-18 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trahe, Fiona, Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: dev, Mcnamara, John

18/06/2020 17:26, Ferruh Yigit:
> On 6/18/2020 3:09 PM, Trahe, Fiona wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > 
> > If there's a cryptodev API change planned for 20.11 (an ABI breakage), is it necessary
> > to send a deprecation notice in 20.08?
> > Or can this just be worked during the normal 20.11 patch review cycle?
> 
> As far as I got it, it needs to follow the regular deprecation process. Which is
> deprecation notice should be sent and merged (with 3 acks) in 20.08, so that it
> can be changed in 20.11.
> 
> It can be good to highlight this, perhaps in next release status meeting, since
> there may be some ABI changes waiting for 20.11, this release is last change for
> them to send a deprecation notice.

Yes
Good idea to highlight it.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-06-18 15:31 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-06-18 10:26 [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020 Ferruh Yigit
2020-06-18 14:09 ` Trahe, Fiona
2020-06-18 15:26   ` Ferruh Yigit
2020-06-18 15:30     ` Thomas Monjalon

DPDK patches and discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/0 dev/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dev dev/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/dev \
		dev@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index dev

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.dev


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git