From: "O'driscoll, Tim" <tim.o'driscoll@intel.com>
To: Luke Gorrie <luke@snabb.co>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] DPDK Features for Q1 2015
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:29:04 +0000

> From: lukego@gmail.com [mailto:lukego@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Luke Gorrie
>
> On 22 October 2014 15:48, O'driscoll, Tim <tim.o'driscoll@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Single Virtio Driver: Merge existing Virtio drivers into a single implementation, incorporating
> the best features from each of the existing drivers.
>
> Cool. Do you have a strategy in mind already for zero-copy optimisation with VMDq? I have
> seen some patches floating around for this and it's an area of active interest for myself and
> others. I see a lot of potential for making this work more effectively with some modest
> extensions to Virtio and guest behaviour, and would love to meet kindred spirits who are
> thinking along these lines too.

At the moment, we're not planning any additional work in this area. We would be interested in hearing more details on your thoughts for improvements in this area though, and I'm sure others in the community would be interested in this too. Have you thought about submitting an RFC to prompt a discussion on this?

Tim