* [dpdk-dev] DPDK.org Community Call - Sept 24 - Discuss Growth, Improvements
@ 2015-09-22  7:14 St Leger, Jim
From: St Leger, Jim @ 2015-09-22  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I am going to host a community call on Thursday Sept 24 at 7:00am Pacific daylight time.  The conference call dial-in info via GoToMeeting is pasted below.  Here is the background and objective of the discussion.

The DPDK community continues to grow.  Here are some stats on the 2.1 release from August 17th:
=> 827 commits. A growth of ~50% over the 2.0 release.
=> 82 individual committers. A growth of ~33% over the 2.0 release.
The number of companies contributing has also continued to grow.

There is a strong desire to continue to grow and solidify the community. But the growth brings up the question of how the community is structured to scale.   Additionally, there are many private DPDK repositories across the industry (e.g. ARM ports, for example.)  There are a myriad of reasons why companies have elected to keep their DPDK code and ports private versus put them into the DPDK.org community. We as a community need to understand and explore these reasons and work towards enabling inclusion.

During this gathering I'd like to bring together the DPDK community including:
a) the DPDK code contributors,
b) the consumers of DPDK downstream (VNF vendors, etc.),
c) private branch DPDK creators/consumers, and
d) anyone else interested in the growth and future of the DPDK open source software project.

The call will focus on two topics:

1)    Structure for growth:

Do we have the community practices, policies, and procedures in place to allow us to continue to grow on our current trajectory?

2)    Gaps Limiting Participation:

What gaps do companies who would like to participate/contribute to DPDK.org see?

What changes would they like to see made to improve the project?

I hope people can attend AND that they will join and speak up and be heard. The success and growth of the community depends on YOU!

Thanks,
Jim
DPDK Community Call

Thu, Sep 24, 2015 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM GMT Daylight Time
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/766709085

You can also dial in using your phone.

Access Code: 766-709-085
Dial-in phone numbers
United States : +1 (312) 757-3117
Australia : +61 2 8355 1031
Austria : +43 (0) 7 2088 1033
Belgium : +32 (0) 28 93 7001
Canada : +1 (647) 497-9371
Denmark : +45 (0) 69 91 89 33
Finland : +358 (0) 942 41 5770
France : +33 (0) 170 950 585
Germany : +49 (0) 692 5736 7303
Ireland : +353 (0) 19 030 050
Italy : +39 0 693 38 75 50
Netherlands : +31 (0) 208 080 208
New Zealand : +64 9 925 0481
Norway : +47 21 54 82 21
Spain : +34 911 82 9890
Sweden : +46 (0) 853 527 817
Switzerland : +41 (0) 435 0167 65
United Kingdom : +44 (0) 20 3713 5010

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK.org Community Call - Sept 24 - Discuss Growth, Improvements
@ 2015-09-23 21:00 ` Dave Neary
From: Dave Neary @ 2015-09-23 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: St Leger, Jim, dev

Hi Jim,

I see that there is a session loosely aligned with the agenda below on
the agenda for DPDK Userspace in Dublin:
https://dpdksummit.com/us/en/userspace2015 (current speaker is TBC).
Will this call serve as a preparation call for that face to face
meeting? In which case, is this the best opportunity that people who
cannot travel to Dublin will have to make any concerns/proposals known
so that they can be discussed there?

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK.org Community Call - Sept 24 - Discuss Growth, Improvements
@ 2015-09-23 23:56   ` St Leger, Jim
From: St Leger, Jim @ 2015-09-23 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Neary, dev

This call is aimed to get more open dialogue in the community.  Yes, the slot at DPDK Userspace should delve deeper into the subject. But rather than wait it has been desired by several people to get some discussion going now ahead of the Dublin gathering.  I hope the community can start the conversation now and then tee up some areas to dig into deeper when people are face-to-face in Dublin (those who can make it anyway.) And of course if people aren't going to Dublin this is an easy path to be heard and contribute to the discussion.
I hope that helps.

@ 2015-09-24  8:36     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-09-24  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: St Leger, Jim; +Cc: dev

2015-09-23 23:56, St Leger, Jim:
> This call is aimed to get more open dialogue in the community.

I wonder how a call can "get more open dialogue"?
Because of being "live", a lot of people cannot attend at this time.
A call is also a place where only people having the strongest voice will be heard.
Finally it will be really well understood only by english-native people
(depending on the accent of speakers).

I know only one way to be really open and we are using it for this discussion.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK.org Community Call - Sept 24 - Discuss Growth, Improvements
@ 2015-09-24  8:40       ` Simon Kågström
From: Simon Kågström @ 2015-09-24  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On 2015-09-24 10:36, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-09-23 23:56, St Leger, Jim:
>> This call is aimed to get more open dialogue in the community.
>
> I wonder how a call can "get more open dialogue"?
> Because of being "live", a lot of people cannot attend at this time.
> A call is also a place where only people having the strongest voice will be heard.
> Finally it will be really well understood only by english-native people
> (depending on the accent of speakers).
>
> I know only one way to be really open and we are using it for this discussion.

One good thing would be if someone could write a summary of the
community call discussion for further discussion on the mailing list.

// Simon

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK.org Community Call - Sept 24 - Discuss Growth, Improvements
@ 2015-09-24 15:35     ` Butler, Siobhan A
From: Butler, Siobhan A @ 2015-09-24 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: St Leger, Jim, Dave Neary, dev

Super discussions today on the community call. Looking forward to continuing the open and honest dialogue in Dublin in two weeks' time.
Don't forget if you have registered for DPDK Userspace 2015 and can't make it please let me know as we have a waiting list.
Thanks
Siobhán

@ 2015-09-28 20:44 ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2015-09-28 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: St Leger, Jim, dev

Thanks to everybody who attended and provided input at last week's meeting. It was a good, open discussion, and hopefully is the first step towards structuring the DPDK project to facilitate its continued growth.

I've included a summary of the discussion below. Please feel free to provide any additional input, or to clarify/correct if I've misrepresented anything below.

The key follow up action is to continue this discussion at the Userspace event in Dublin next week. We have a discussion topic on this on the Thursday afternoon (see https://dpdksummit.com/us/en/userspace2015). Following the Userspace event we'll determine what additional calls and/or mailing list discussions are required.

Attendees: Alejandro Lucero (Netronome), Andrew Harvey (Cisco), Andrey Chilikin (Intel), Aws Ismail (Ciena), Bernard Iremonger (Intel), Bill Fischofer (Linaro), Bruce Richardson (Intel), Damjan Marion (Cisco), Daniel Mrzyglod (Intel), Dave Barach (Cisco), Dave Hunt (Intel), Dave Neary (Red Hat), Declan Doherty (Intel), Ed Warnicke (Cisco), Fan Zhang (Intel), Gary Mussar (Ciena), Harry van Haaren (Intel), Jasvinder Singh (Intel), Jianfeng Tan (Intel), Jim St Leger (Intel), John Bromhead (Cavium), John McNamara (Intel), Keith Wiles (Intel), Margaret Chiosi (AT&T), Mike Glynn (Intel), Mike Holmes (Linaro), Pablo de Lara Guarch (Intel), Pradeep Kathail (Cisco), Prasanth Kannan (), Reshma Pattah (Intel),  Roger Melton (Cisco), Santosh Shukla (Linaro), Sergio Gonzalez Monroy (Intel), Siobhan Butler (Intel), Thomas Herbert (Red Hat), Thomas Monjalon (6WIND), Tim O'Driscoll (Intel), Venky Venkatesan (Intel)

Note that this info was pulled from the GoToMeeting tool, but people joined and left at different times during the call so it may not be a complete list.

Purpose:
1. Structure for growth: Do we have the community practices, policies, and procedures in place to allow us to continue to grow on our current trajectory?

2. Gaps Limiting Participation: What gaps do companies who would like to participate/contribute to DPDK.org see? What changes would they like to see made to improve the project?

Minutes:
The main topics that were discussed were:

Is the project structured correctly to manage continued growth?
- We've seen a steady increase in total contributions and number of contributors from one release to the next.
- Some participants felt that decisions seem to be arbitrary and come down to a couple of people being vocal on the mailing list. We need to determine a better decision making process.
- Some participants felt that DPDK needs to pay more attention to its consumers and are not sure that the current structure encourages this.

Several companies have ARM ports and other enhancements to DPDK that have not been upstreamed. What's preventing this from happening?
- There are concerns that DPDK is currently very focused on x86 and PCI-based devices, and would not be receptive to an ARM port. How do we get a more balanced approach? The technical issues can be fixed, but it's not clear whether the SoC vendors believe the project structure/governance is sufficient to accept these kinds of changes. Several people have heard these concerns expressed in private, but they have not be aired in public.
- A concern was expressed that we haven't heard sufficient input from Linaro/ARM vendors on this. How do we get more input from them?

Should the project be governed by a single company?
- There were several acknowledgements of the contribution that Thomas Monjalon has made to the project, including the fact that he completed the 2.1 release while on vacation. There was a concern though that this dependency on a single key individual doesn't scale as the project continues to grow.
- Some participants stated that they would have more confidence in the project if it wasn't run by a single company. Having a broader governance structure would help the project scale and make sure it's independent of any single company's business interests. This is largely a perception issue and no patches have been rejected so far because they conflict with the business interests of community members. A concern was expressed that the resistance seen to upstreaming an IPsec sample application may fall into this category in future.
- Discussed the creation of a Technical Steering Committee, which was proposed previously on the mailing list. Some expressed the view that this should be composed of contributors to the project, others that it should be more balanced between contributors and consumers.

Convergence between DPDK and ODP came up a few times. Agreed that the focus of this discussion was on governance and that convergence needs to be dealt with separately.

Next steps:
- For those attending the Userspace event in Dublin, we have a discussion topic on this on the Thursday afternoon (see https://dpdksummit.com/us/en/userspace2015). Those who are interested in continuing this discussion should attend that session.
- Following the Userspace event we'll determine what additional calls and/or mailing list discussions are required.

Thanks,
Tim