* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - ARM Support
@ 2015-12-04 17:50 O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2015-12-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I missed Tuesday's call as I was travelling, but I believe one of the outcomes was to hold another call at the same time on Tuesday 8th to further discuss the External Mempool Manager. Here are the details:

When:
Tue, Dec 8, 2015 15:00 - 16:00 GMT
Tue, Dec 8, 2015 07:00 - 08:00 PST
Tue, Dec 8, 2015 10:00 - 11:00 EST
Tue, Dec 8, 2015 16:00 - 17:00 CET

How to join:
You can join from your computer, tablet or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/704010829

You can also dial in using your phone.

Access Code: 704-010-829

Phone numbers
United States : +1 (786) 358-5410
Australia : +61 2 9087 3604
Austria : +43 7 2088 0034
Belgium : +32 (0) 28 93 7018
Canada : +1 (647) 497-9350
Denmark : +45 69 91 88 62
Finland : +358 (0) 942 41 5778
France : +33 (0) 182 880 456
Germany : +49 (0) 692 5736 7211
Ireland : +353 (0) 15 290 180
Italy : +39 0 699 36 98 80
Netherlands : +31 (0) 208 908 267
New Zealand : +64 9 442 7358
Norway : +47 21 54 32 44
Spain : +34 911 23 0850
Sweden : +46 (0) 853 527 835
Switzerland : +41 (0) 435 0006 96
United Kingdom : +44 (0) 20 3713 5028

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - ARM Support
@ 2015-12-08  0:55 ` Bob Monkman
From: Bob Monkman @ 2015-12-08  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, dev; +Cc: Prasun.Kapoor, Liu, Kin-Yip

Tim,
Yes, and I have been meaning to ask Venky to send out the presentation again. This was asked at the meeting and it fell through the cracks. I had wanted to ping some of the ARM SoC folks to read it and come prepared to discuss. As it stands, I will send a note anyways and see if I can get some interested stakeholders there. I recall some of the Cavium folks were online last time.

Regards,
Bob

Robert (Bob) Monkman
Enterprise Segment Marketing Manager
150 Rose Orchard Way
San Jose, Ca 95134

@ 2015-12-08 10:35   ` Jan Viktorin
From: Jan Viktorin @ 2015-12-08 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Monkman, O'Driscoll, Tim, dev; +Cc: Prasun.Kapoor, Liu, Kin-Yip

Hello,

I'd like to see the presentation as well.

Another point. Last time, I was confused a bit by who is talking as the gotomeeting system doesn't show it always and if it does it hides very quickly. The topic was not very clear sometimes. Could we agree on some rules? Could somebody be a moderator? There is the chat that can be used for this...

Finally, some conclusion should be sent into the mailing list.

Regards
Jan Viktorin
RehiveTech
Sent from a mobile device

@ 2015-12-09 19:26 ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2015-12-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

These are brief minutes of our community call on Tuesday. Please feel free to post any corrections or additions.

Attendees: Jim St Leger, Tim O'Driscoll, Konstantin Ananyev, Cheryl Edwards, Pablo de Lara Guarch, Declan Doherty, Mike Glynn, Dave Hunt, Bernard Iremonger, M Jay, Jerin Jacob (Cavium), Jitendra Kanitkar, John DiGiglio, John McNamara, Keith Wiles, Patrick Lu, Mike Holmes (Linaro), Olivier Matz, Prasun Kapoor, Raj Murali (Linaro), Remy Horton, Sergio Gonzalez Monroy, Thomas Monjalon, Walt Gilmore, Yoshihiro Nakajima, Siobhan Butler, Bob Monkman, Jan Viktorin, Ola Liljedahl (ARM), Ankit Jindal (Applied Micro), Fan Zhang
Note: This list is taken from the GoToMeeting tool, but since people joined/left at different times it may not be complete.

Jim gave a quick summary of last week's meeting:
- Dave Hunt summarized the status of ARM v7/v8 support. See the attached slides. Maintainers for v7 will be Jan Viktorin and Jianbo Liu. Maintainers for v8 will be Jerin Jacob and Jianbo Liu.
- Venky presented on External Mempool Manager. There wasn't time to complete the presentation so this was continued at this week's meeting.
- Bob Monkman is working on coordinating contributions to DPDK from the ARM community.

External Mempool Manager:
- Keith Wiles completed the presentation on this. Slides are attached.
- Goal is to support other memory management schemes. These could be HW or SW implementations.
- People should review the slides and post any other comments/questions on the mailing list.

Bob gave an update on plans for DPDK contributions from the ARM community:
- The original plan was to consolidate/coordinate contributions across vendors, but it looks like this may not be necessary. This may change, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a need.
- Several ARM vendors (including Broadcom, Freescale) are monitoring the work being done in DPDK. They'll test with their hardware and engage with the community if/when they have issues or patches to contribute
- Bob will get others to review External Mempool Manager proposal to make sure it meets their needs.

Call to discuss Linux Foundation options for DPDK:
- This is a follow up to a discussion at the Userspace event.
- Jim St Leger would like to have a Linux Foundation rep present to the community on the options for using LF for DPDK. We'll discuss with the LF and arrange a time for this, before the holiday period if possible.

Tim

[-- Attachment #2: Arm Status.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: External Mempool Manager.pdf --]

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - ARM Support
@ 2015-11-30 19:53     ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2015-11-30 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Monkman, dev

This is just a reminder that this call is on tomorrow, at 15:00 GMT. I'll be travelling, but Jim St Leger has agreed to host the call.

The agenda is:
ARMv7 & v8 ports:
- Summary of what's been submitted for 2.2 and what the remaining gaps are (Dave Hunt)
- Discussion on plans for further contributions in this area

External Memory Manager:
- Summary of our plans for DPDK 2.3 (Venky Venkatesan)
- Do others plan to do work in this area?

Other DPDK/ARM plans:
- Does anybody else have plans for ARM-related work in DPDK that they can share?

The link for the online meeting is: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/535221101. Further details on the meeting time in other timezones, and dial-in numbers for various countries are included below.

Tim

@ 2015-11-19 17:17 ` Bagh Fares
From: Bagh Fares @ 2015-11-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, dev

Thank you Tim for addressing this. We are very interested in this activities. Our interest is having common API for our customer between various arch to ease the life of their sw developers.
We are already writing code to contribute here.

You can join from your computer, tablet or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/535221101

@ 2015-11-19 11:20   ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2015-11-19 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Monkman, dev