* [dpdk-dev] rte_flow: Different devices have different field indianess?
@ 2020-03-27 14:29 Tom Barbette
From: Tom Barbette @ 2020-03-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: orika, beilei.xing, qi.z.zhang

Hi all,

It seems rte_flow_item_eth takes its ethertype in host byte order with
i40e, but in network byte order with mlx5.

Wouldn't it be nice to unify that? Else is there a way to know in which
byte order the spec should be given? I guess that expands to all fields,
but I only compared the ethertype field.

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_flow: Different devices have different field indianess?
@ 2020-03-27 14:44 ` Andrew Rybchenko
From: Andrew Rybchenko @ 2020-03-27 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Barbette, dev; +Cc: orika, beilei.xing, qi.z.zhang

On 3/27/20 5:29 PM, Tom Barbette wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems rte_flow_item_eth takes its ethertype in host byte order with
> i40e, but in network byte order with mlx5.

If so, it is definitely bug in i40e, since struct rte_flow_item_eth
defines type as rte_be16_t type.

@ 2020-03-27 14:51   ` Tom Barbette
From: Tom Barbette @ 2020-03-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Rybchenko, dev; +Cc: orika, beilei.xing, qi.z.zhang

Le 27/03/2020 à 15:44, Andrew Rybchenko a écrit :
> On 3/27/20 5:29 PM, Tom Barbette wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It seems rte_flow_item_eth takes its ethertype in host byte order with
>> i40e, but in network byte order with mlx5.
>
> If so, it is definitely bug in i40e, since struct rte_flow_item_eth
> defines type as rte_be16_t type.

Indeed, with testpmd I would expect the first one to be the one that works:

testpmd> flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type is 0x0800 / end actions
mark id 5  / end
port_flow_complain(): Caught PMD error type 13 (specific pattern item):
cause: 0x227fd75540, Unsupported ether_type.: Invalid argument
testpmd> flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type is 0x0008 / end actions
mark id 5  / end
Flow rule #0 created

@ 2020-03-28 20:49   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-03-28 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Barbette, beilei.xing, qi.z.zhang, Andrew Rybchenko; +Cc: dev, orika

27/03/2020 15:44, Andrew Rybchenko:
> On 3/27/20 5:29 PM, Tom Barbette wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It seems rte_flow_item_eth takes its ethertype in host byte order with
> > i40e, but in network byte order with mlx5.
>
> If so, it is definitely bug in i40e, since struct rte_flow_item_eth
> defines type as rte_be16_t type.

Someone to open a bugzilla for this i40e bug please?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_flow: Different devices have different field indianess?
@ 2020-03-30  0:48     ` Xing, Beilei
From: Xing, Beilei @ 2020-03-30  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Barbette, Andrew Rybchenko, dev; +Cc: orika, Zhang, Qi Z

It's not a bug, but HW limitation.
Only FDIR supports mark action, but i40e FDIR doesn't support filter with eth type 0x0800.

Please refer to the following
ether_type = rte_be_to_cpu_16(eth_spec->type);

                                if (next_type == RTE_FLOW_ITEM_TYPE_VLAN ||
                                    ether_type == RTE_ETHER_TYPE_IPV4 ||
                                    ether_type == RTE_ETHER_TYPE_IPV6 ||
                                    ether_type == RTE_ETHER_TYPE_ARP ||
                                    ether_type == outer_tpid) {