* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-25  9:24 Mcnamara, John
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2019-01-25  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev
  Cc: Mcnamara, John, Thomas Monjalon, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal,
	Dumitrescu, Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin,
	Zhang, Qi Z, Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare,
	Cathal, Yigit, Ferruh

Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018

09:32

Agenda
------

    * Subtrees
    * Bugzilla
    * Dates

Subtrees
--------

    * Next-Net
      * There are no critical/blocking issues. There is only a bunch of
        patches merged, again nothing critical. Pulled from sub-trees.
        It can be ready for Friday for rc4.
    * Next-Crypto
      * No patches
    * Next-virtio
      * Have prepared branch with 4 patches.
    * Next-Eventdev
      * No patches
    * Next-Ip-pipeline
      * No patches
    * Master
      * Documentation patches

RC4 target for Friday 25 January.

RC3 Testing
-----------

    * No critical or very big issues for RC3 - from Intel Testing

LTS Testing
-----------

    * Intel cannot test the LTS until after Chinese Spring Festival
    * Should be able to start retesting in the week of Feb 18th
    * Questions from Intel Test about the use of the Stable Tree.
      Do people use it? Each stable/LTS release requires a lot of
      testing and there are currently 3 releases to be tested.

Deprecation notices
-------------------

   Please review the deprecation notices below:
      * doc: add deprecation notice for meson: http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/49877/
      * doc: add deprecation notice to remove rte meter color: http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/48712/
      * doc: update API deprecation for device reset: http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/44990/
      * doc: announce change of rte service API parameter type: http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/49987/
      * doc: announce ring API change: http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/49961/

OVS 2.11 Status
---------------

    * 2.11 branched from master January 18th.
   * 4 week stabilization period.
    * Release targeted February 18th~.

DPDK 19.05
----------
    * Request for to try get some changes in early
    * Agreement to accept proposed dates for 19.05
    * Intel to submit patch to website to update dates
      * Proposal Deadline: Friday  1 March 2019
      * Merge deadline:    Friday 22 March 2019
      * RC1 release:       Friday 29 March 2019
      * Release:           Friday 10 May   2019

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-25 13:42 ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2019-01-25 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John
  Cc: dev, Thomas Monjalon, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal, Dumitrescu,
	Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin, Zhang, Qi Z,
	Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare, Cathal, Yigit,
	Ferruh

>    * Questions from Intel Test about the use of the Stable Tree.
>      Do people use it? Each stable/LTS release requires a lot of
>      testing and there are currently 3 releases to be tested.

We do @ infinite io.

Jay

@ 2019-01-25 16:40   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-01-25 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette
  Cc: Mcnamara, John, dev, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal, Dumitrescu,
	Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin, Zhang, Qi Z,
	Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare, Cathal, Yigit,
	Ferruh

Hi Jay,

25/01/2019 14:42, Jay Rolette:
> >    * Questions from Intel Test about the use of the Stable Tree.
> >      Do people use it? Each stable/LTS release requires a lot of
> >      testing and there are currently 3 releases to be tested.
>
> We do @ infinite io.

Would you be OK to share your test plan and the results please?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-25 16:53     ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2019-01-25 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Mcnamara, John, dev, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal, Dumitrescu,
	Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin, Zhang, Qi Z,
	Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare, Cathal, Yigit,
	Ferruh

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> 25/01/2019 14:42, Jay Rolette:
> > >    * Questions from Intel Test about the use of the Stable Tree.
> > >      Do people use it? Each stable/LTS release requires a lot of
> > >      testing and there are currently 3 releases to be tested.
> >
> > We do @ infinite io.
>
> Would you be OK to share your test plan and the results please?

I thought Intel was asking if anyone was using the LTS tree (ie., is it
worthwhile to continue maintaining and testing it). We don't test DPDK as a
standalone entity. We have test plans and such for our product, which
includes DPDK, but nothing that would be of interest elsewhere.

Sorry if I misunderstood the original question.

Jay

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-25 17:05       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-01-25 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette
  Cc: Mcnamara, John, dev, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal, Dumitrescu,
	Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin, Zhang, Qi Z,
	Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare, Cathal, Yigit,
	Ferruh

25/01/2019 17:53, Jay Rolette:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jay,
> >
> > 25/01/2019 14:42, Jay Rolette:
> > >
> > > We do @ infinite io.
> >
> > Would you be OK to share your test plan and the results please?
>
> I thought Intel was asking if anyone was using the LTS tree (ie., is it
> worthwhile to continue maintaining and testing it). We don't test DPDK as a
> standalone entity. We have test plans and such for our product, which
> includes DPDK, but nothing that would be of interest elsewhere.

OK

> Sorry if I misunderstood the original question.

No, I misunderstood your reply :)

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-25 21:16   ` Aaron Conole
From: Aaron Conole @ 2019-01-25 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette
  Cc: Mcnamara, John, dev, Thomas Monjalon, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal,
	Dumitrescu, Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin,
	Zhang, Qi Z, Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare,
	Cathal, Yigit, Ferruh, Kevin Traynor, Timothy Redaelli

Jay Rolette <rolette@infinite.io> writes:

>>    * Questions from Intel Test about the use of the Stable Tree.
>>      Do people use it? Each stable/LTS release requires a lot of
>>      testing and there are currently 3 releases to be tested.
>
> We do @ infinite io.

+1.  Red Hat also uses the LTS releases.

I'm curious why there are three?
Isn't 16.11 deprecated now that 18.11 is released?  Maybe I
misunderstand that part.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-25 23:37     ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2019-01-25 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Conole, Jay Rolette
  Cc: Mcnamara, John, dev, Thomas Monjalon, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal,
	Dumitrescu, Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin,
	Zhang, Qi Z, Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare,
	Cathal, Kevin Traynor, Timothy Redaelli

On 1/25/2019 9:16 PM, Aaron Conole wrote:
> Jay Rolette <rolette@infinite.io> writes:
>
>>>    * Questions from Intel Test about the use of the Stable Tree.
>>>      Do people use it? Each stable/LTS release requires a lot of
>>>      testing and there are currently 3 releases to be tested.
>>
>> We do @ infinite io.
>
> +1.  Red Hat also uses the LTS releases.

I assume the question is around stable tree, not LTS.
We have LTS trees: 16.11, 17.11, 18.11
And a stable tree valid for one release, latest stable tree will be: 18.08.x

In the existence of the LTS, do we need to keep stable tree?

> I'm curious why there are three?
> Isn't 16.11 deprecated now that 18.11 is released?  Maybe I
> misunderstand that part.

16.11 will have latest release and later EOL. For one release there are three
LTS, other times two.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-26  1:01       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-01-26  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit, Aaron Conole
  Cc: Jay Rolette, Mcnamara, John, dev, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal,
	Dumitrescu, Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin,
	Zhang, Qi Z, Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare,
	Cathal, Kevin Traynor, Timothy Redaelli

26/01/2019 00:37, Ferruh Yigit:

> >> We do @ infinite io.
> >
> > +1.  Red Hat also uses the LTS releases.
>
> I assume the question is around stable tree, not LTS.
> We have LTS trees: 16.11, 17.11, 18.11
> And a stable tree valid for one release, latest stable tree will be: 18.08.x
>
> In the existence of the LTS, do we need to keep stable tree?

Not sure to understand this question.
Yes we need 18.08.1 which is supposed to be more stable than 18.11.0.

> > I'm curious why there are three?
> > Isn't 16.11 deprecated now that 18.11 is released?  Maybe I
> > misunderstand that part.
>
> 16.11 will have latest release and later EOL. For one release there are three
> LTS, other times two.

16.11.9 was supposed to be tested and released before 18.11.1.
The plan was to have only 2 LTS at a time.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-01-28 14:27         ` Aaron Conole
From: Aaron Conole @ 2019-01-28 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Ferruh Yigit, Jay Rolette, Mcnamara, John, dev, Jerin Jacob,
	Akhil Goyal, Dumitrescu, Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh,
	Maxime Coquelin, Zhang, Qi Z, Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch,
	Pablo, O'Hare, Cathal, Kevin Traynor, Timothy Redaelli

Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> writes:

> 26/01/2019 00:37, Ferruh Yigit:

>> > +1.  Red Hat also uses the LTS releases.
>>
>> I assume the question is around stable tree, not LTS.
>> We have LTS trees: 16.11, 17.11, 18.11
>> And a stable tree valid for one release, latest stable tree will be: 18.08.x
>>
>> In the existence of the LTS, do we need to keep stable tree?

I misunderstood the question I guess.  I saw 'stable/LTS' and assumed it
was lumping them together, sorry.

Red Hat uses the LTS trees.  We don't use the 'stable' tree (ie: Red Hat
won't use 19.08.1).  Kevin can correct me if i got something wrong here.

> Not sure to understand this question.
> Yes we need 18.08.1 which is supposed to be more stable than 18.11.0.
>
>> > I'm curious why there are three?
>> > Isn't 16.11 deprecated now that 18.11 is released?  Maybe I
>> > misunderstand that part.
>>
>> 16.11 will have latest release and later EOL. For one release there are three
>> LTS, other times two.
>
> 16.11.9 was supposed to be tested and released before 18.11.1.
> The plan was to have only 2 LTS at a time.

I was under the impression that the instant (X+2).11 releases, X.11 is
EOL.  I guess that's for someone else to explain (maybe a candidate for
something in doc/guides/.../release_cadence.rst to help clarify)?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 24/01/2018
@ 2019-02-01 16:57     ` Mcnamara, John
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2019-02-01 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Conole, Jay Rolette
  Cc: dev, Thomas Monjalon, Jerin Jacob, Akhil Goyal, Dumitrescu,
	Cristian, Xu, Qian Q, Yongseok Koh, Maxime Coquelin, Zhang, Qi Z,
	Shahaf Shuler, De Lara Guarch, Pablo, O'Hare, Cathal, Yigit,
	Ferruh, Kevin Traynor, Timothy Redaelli

Hi,

I should have been clearer on this. I meant the non-LTS "stable" release (the one we maintain for one release cycle). Historically it was meant for CVEs and hot-fixes on the head release. The question related to that stable release and whether people use it.

As suggested on the maintainers call the other day I'll probably put together a survey to find out.

The utility of the LTS releases isn't in question. :-)

John