* Compiling error using make for pktgen, libfgen not found
@ 2024-05-08 10:57 Florian Düsing
From: Florian Düsing @ 2024-05-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Dear Developers of dpdk and pktgen,

I try to use pktgen for my Bachelor Thesis where I want to create a
Penetration- and Loadtester for Firewalls. But I encountered numerous
problems and hoped you could help me out.
To sort the problems:
1. I want to use the newest pktgen version, instead of 22.04.01, but I
always get the "error:meson.build:45:11: ERROR: Dependency "libfgen" not
found, tried pkgconfig and cmake"
I tried to install the Dependency, but I keep failing. Could this be a
problem with "pkg-config"?

2. I did manage to run pktgen 22.04.01 with dpdk 22.11.1, but I needed
to manually edit multiple c-Files to work. But I have problems with my
IOMMU groups which i couldnt resolve. Thats why I would like to try the
newest Version.

Currently Iam using ubuntu-22.04 on my private Computer. I tried working
with a virtual environment on EVE-NG, but I had multiple problems with
core dumps. I figured the virtualisation might be the problem.

Hardware wise I use:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
16GB Ram, 8GB per slot
cheap dual 1G Intel NIC, but DPDK is able to use them

Maybe you can help me solving my IOMMU problem, this way I could atleast
use the older Versions.
My Intel NIC gets in the same IOMMU group as my on-board Ethernet-Port
and 9 more other pci objects, which keeps me from using pktgen. Editing
the grub file resultet in a total crash of ubuntu, so i had to set up
everthing again from the ground.

I hope someone is able to help me, because in theory the pktgen is
exactly what I need, but with the lack of my experience, I am at my wits
end.

I dont want to bother anyone, but every single help would be appreciated.

Sincerly
Florian Düsing