From: Antti Kantee <pooka@fixup.fi>
To: daniel chapiesky <dchapiesky2@gmail.com>, dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Bare Metal
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 10:05:43 +0000	[thread overview]

Daniel,

On 16/05/14 22:16, daniel chapiesky wrote:
> We are interested in finding out how much we can decrease the attack surface
> of our application by going full bare metal.. (i.e. sans OS).   The mention
> of a bare metal version of dpdk is one of the contributing factors for our
> working on our prototype.
>
> Can you please provide any information on the dpdk bare metal version?
> Such as:

I don't know about _the_ bare metal version, but if I'm allowed to
advertise a project I'm working on, I'll mention _a_ potential bare
metal version:

The goal of rump kernels (http://rumpkernel.org/) is to provide an OS
quality driver stack without the OS (hence *rump* kernels).  The TCP/IP
stack provided by rump kernels already integrates with DPDK, and many
existing POSIX-y apps "just work" on top of rump kernels in an OS-less
environment.  It's no stretch to imagine DPDK running on a bare metal
rump kernel platform, TCP/IP optional.

> 1) is it in fact - a zero OS version or is it based on a RTOS such as
> those from Wind River.
>
> 2) Does the bare metal version only support one kind of processor family
> such
> as i7, or is it possible to target atom or arm with it as well?
>
> 3) what are the licensing terms for it?
>
> 4) are royalties required?

Rump kernels are [based on] NetBSD, so there's support for a variety of
architectures, including Intel, ARM, MIPS, etc.  Everything is open
source and BSD-licensed, no royalties.  However, since the idea of the
open source project is to provide a driver stack instead of ready-baked
solutions, you have to write (or copypaste) the lowest bootstrap/machine
layer yourself (*).  The good news is that, speaking from experience,
the required lowlevel support is a simple few-nighter.

   - antti

*) feel free to call that development investment a licensing fee if it
translates better to your finance department