* [dpdk-dev] veth interfaces
@ 2014-05-27 11:50 Ivano Cerrato
From: Ivano Cerrato @ 2014-05-27 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,
is it possible to use DPDK to send packets on a veth interface?

Thanks in advance,

     Ivano

* Re: [dpdk-dev] veth interfaces
@ 2014-05-30  7:02 ` Ivano Cerrato
From: Ivano Cerrato @ 2014-05-30  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello,
I apologize for the imprecise email I sent, and now I try to be more
specific about what I would like to do.

I have a module that receives traffic from the network using DPDK and,
based on the packet content, should provide packets to the proper Docker
container.
Docker containers receive packets through a veth interface.

Can I use DPDK features, in particular the KNI, to send packets on a
veth interface?
If the KNI is not appropriate, is there something else that I could use?

Regards,

   Ivano

* Re: [dpdk-dev] veth interfaces
@ 2014-05-30 12:49   ` Zhu, Heqing
From: Zhu, Heqing @ 2014-05-30 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivano Cerrato, dev

Hi Ivano,

I think you can use the KNI, there is example/kni and doc. Please visit if you have not done it. Please keep us updated on your journey with Docker containers.  :-)

@ 2014-06-03 12:51     ` Ivano Cerrato
From: Ivano Cerrato @ 2014-06-03 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu, Heqing, dev

Hello,
thanks for the answer.

Using the KNI API, I create a new interface, and then I "push it into
the container".
At this point, from the container, I send traffic and it is received in
the KNI example program.

Instead, in my understanding, it is not possible to attach KNI to an
already existing interface. Am I right?

Thank you,

     Ivano