* [dpdk-dev] Possibility to unbind interface by DPDK
@ 2014-10-16 11:45 Walukiewicz, Miroslaw
From: Walukiewicz, Miroslaw @ 2014-10-16 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I have a question regarding unbinding Linux interface from EAL.

This feature was present up to dpdk 1.4 and next it was removed.

It was available  under RTE_EAL_UNBIND_PORTS flag.

Is there a possibility to get this feature back in the next releases?

Unbinding interfaces from EAL makes possible reading network interface parameters like IP address, MTU, VLAN configuration  from dpdk applications.

When Linux interface is unbound before application start this information is lost for application.

Mirek

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Possibility to unbind interface by DPDK
@ 2014-10-16 12:12 ` Lilijun
From: Lilijun @ 2014-10-16 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On 2014/10/16 19:45, Walukiewicz, Miroslaw wrote:
> I have a question regarding unbinding Linux interface from EAL.
>
> This feature was present up to dpdk 1.4 and next it was removed.
>
> It was available  under RTE_EAL_UNBIND_PORTS flag.
>
> Is there a possibility to get this feature back in the next releases?
>
> Unbinding interfaces from EAL makes possible reading network interface parameters like IP address, MTU, VLAN configuration  from dpdk applications.
>
> When Linux interface is unbound before application start this information is lost for application.

The same problem was found.
Might an alternative be to actually bind the NICs to DPDK uio driver like the dpdk_nic_bind.py scipts after getting that NIC parameters in your application .