From: Tetsuya Mukawa <mukawa@igel.co.jp>
To: "O'driscoll, Tim" <tim.o'driscoll@intel.com>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] DPDK Features for Q1 2015
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:17:28 +0900

Hi All,

(2014/10/22 22:48), O'driscoll, Tim wrote:
> Single Virtio Driver: Merge existing Virtio drivers into a single implementation, incorporating the best features from each of the existing drivers.

It's nice plan. We should do it.
In my understanding, the following drivers could be merged into a single
virtio PMD since they consist of similar code for handling the virtio ring.

- librte_pmd_virtio
- librte_pmd_xenvirt
- librte_vhost (cuse)

librte_vhost is not a PMD, but we can easily write a librte_pmd_vhost
based on librte_vhost.
Before doing it, we need to consider vhost-user extension for librte_vhost.

BTW, I have a RFC patch for librte_vhost to handle vhost-user.
It may be the first step to merge all virtio drivers.

My patch introduces an abstraction layer to hide differences between
legacy cuse vhost and vhost-user from DPDK apps.
Also in my patch, virtio negotiation and initialization code and virtio
handling code is separated.
So, legacy cuse vhost and vhost-user can share virtio handling code

Anyway, I will send a RFC patch soon as the first step of merging all
virtio drivers.

Thanks,
Tetsuya