From: Gyumin <hkm73560@gmail.com>
To: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: [dpdk-dev] Relationship between H/W ring and S/W ring
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:32:16 +0900

Hi

I`m reading the ixgbe code especially about H/W ring and S/W ring. Is
the relationship between H/W ring and S/W ring one-to-one mapping?
As far as I know, H/W ring size is determined in the code(hard coded)
while S/W ring size is determined in port configuration time.
In the ixgbe_rx_alloc_bufs function, H/W ring header address and packet
address indicate the DMA address of S/W ring's mbuf. I understand it
means that the relationship between the H/W ring and S/W ring is
one-to-one mapping. For example, if the size of H/W ring is greater than
the size of  S/W ring then some portion of H/W ring is unused. Is it
correct?