* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - Linux Foundation
@ 2016-01-23  0:19 O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2016-01-23  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

At the community call we held on governance in December, we agreed that a few of us would work with the Linux Foundation on a proposal for a light-weight governance of DPDK. This would include things like management of DPDK events, registering trademarks, and any required legal support etc.

Stephen, Thomas, Dave, Vincent and I met with the Linux Foundation to discuss this and came up with a draft budget proposal. We'd like to have a community call to discuss this and decide how we should proceed.

The current budget estimate is ~$227k. LF guidance is that for this size of budget they'd propose a flat membership fee (i.e. no tiered membership) of ~$25k per member company, with a target of getting 10 or more companies to contribute.

At the call we can discuss:
- A breakdown of the proposed budget. LF are very flexible on this, so we can add or remove whatever we want for DPDK.
- Proposed membership fee.
- Matthew also highlight some recent changes to community representation at the Linux Foundation. We should discuss any concerns associated with this.
- Next steps.

When:
Tue, Feb 2, 2015 15:00 - 16:00 GMT
Tue, Feb 2, 2015 07:00 - 08:00 PST
Tue, Feb 2, 2015 10:00 - 11:00 EST
Tue, Feb 2, 2015 16:00 - 17:00 CET

How to join:
You can join from a computer, tablet or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/474154717

You can also dial in by phone.
Access Code: 474-154-717

More phone numbers
United States : +1 (312) 757-3126
Australia : +61 2 9087 3604
Austria : +43 7 2088 1400
Belgium : +32 (0) 92 98 0592
Canada : +1 (647) 497-9350
Denmark : +45 69 91 80 05
Finland : +358 (0) 942 41 5778
France : +33 (0) 182 880 456
Germany : +49 (0) 692 5736 7313
Ireland : +353 (0) 15 290 180
Italy : +39 0 247 92 12 39
Netherlands : +31 (0) 208 080 379
New Zealand : +64 9 442 7358
Norway : +47 21 03 58 96
Spain : +34 911 82 9782
Sweden : +46 (0) 313 613 558
Switzerland : +41 (0) 435 0006 96
United Kingdom : +44 (0) 20 3713 5028

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - Linux Foundation
@ 2016-01-26 15:49 ` Dave Neary
From: Dave Neary @ 2016-01-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, dev

Hi Tim,

On 01/22/2016 07:19 PM, O'Driscoll, Tim wrote:
> At the community call we held on governance in December, we agreed that a few of us would work with the Linux Foundation on a proposal for a light-weight governance of DPDK. This would include things like management of DPDK events, registering trademarks, and any required legal support etc.
>
> Stephen, Thomas, Dave, Vincent and I met with the Linux Foundation to discuss this and came up with a draft budget proposal. We'd like to have a community call to discuss this and decide how we should proceed.
>
> The current budget estimate is ~$227k. LF guidance is that for this size of budget they'd propose a flat membership fee (i.e. no tiered membership) of ~$25k per member company, with a target of getting 10 or more companies to contribute.
>
> At the call we can discuss:
> - A breakdown of the proposed budget. LF are very flexible on this, so we can add or remove whatever we want for DPDK.
> - Proposed membership fee.
> - Matthew also highlight some recent changes to community representation at the Linux Foundation. We should discuss any concerns associated with this.
> - Next steps.

Sounds good to me. All of the times below work. :-)

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - Linux Foundation
@ 2016-02-04 22:15 ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2016-02-04 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, Laura Kempke, Michael Dolan

Here are some brief minutes of our discussion on Tuesday. Apologies for the delay in sending these out.

Attendees: Bob Monkman, Bruce Richardson, Dave Neary, Ferruh Yigit, Jim St Leger, John Bromhead, John McNamara, Keith Wiles, Konstantin Ananyev, Laura Kempke, M Jay, Martin Horne, Mike Dolan, Mike Glynn, Tetsuya Mukawa, Thomas Monjalon, Tim O'Driscoll, Yoshihiro Nakajima
Note: This list is taken from the GoToMeeting tool, but since people joined/left at different times it may not be complete.

The background to the call is that we had a discussion at the Userspace event in Dublin on using Linux Foundation to provide a lightweight governance model for DPDK. This would cover marketing, event planning, trademarks, other legal issues etc. It would not cover any technical governance of the project.

Following this and a follow-up call we had in December, a small group of us (Dave Neary, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger, Vincent Jardin, me) met with the Linux Foundation to create a draft budget which is available at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-3686Xb_jf4FtxdX8Mus9UwIxUb2vI_ppmJV5GnXcLg/edit#gid=302618256.

Laura walked through the spreadsheet at the meeting. Column B represents the minimum budget requirement for DPDK and totals $227k. Column C shows a number of optional additions and totals $766k. Points of discussion included:
- The minimum option assumes that some of the event costs are covered by registration fees and sponsorship.
- Jim asked about LF hosting DPDK IT infrastructure. This isn't currently included (row 23) but could be added if desired.
- The item for hackathons (row 29) is just a placeholder. The general consensus seemed to be that we wouldn't need these.

Taking the minimum budget requirement of ~$227k, that would mean we'd be looking for ~10-15 companies to contribute, each paying a flat-rate membership fee of ~$15-25k.

There was a question on what member companies would get in return for their contribution. We need to do some further work on this, but the likelihood is that they would get a seat on a board which would determine how the DPDK budget is spent. The scope of this board would be limited to marketing/event/legal issues. Technical governance would continue to be handled separately via our Maintainers and our Architecture Board.

Most people on the call felt that the proposal to use LF was a good idea and was worth pursuing further. However, we only had a small number of people on the call so that may not be representative of the views of the entire community. Therefore, if anybody has further thoughts or input on this, please feel free to reply to this email.

Keith suggested holding a poll so that we can quantify the level of interest and give people a way to provide feedback anonymously in case they're unwilling to do so in public. I'll look into this.

Feel free to post any corrections or additions if I missed anything.

Tim

@ 2016-02-05 16:30   ` Bob Monkman
From: Bob Monkman @ 2016-02-05 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, dev, Laura Kempke, Michael Dolan

Thanks very much for the minutes. Can we get Laura's draft deck re: budget and tradeoffs/options?

Robert (Bob) Monkman
Enterprise Segment Marketing Manager
150 Rose Orchard Way
San Jose, Ca 95134

@ 2016-02-05 17:08     ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2016-02-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Bob Monkman @ 2016-02-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, dev, Laura Kempke, Michael Dolan

Right. Yes, I can access it just fine.
Thx,

@ 2016-02-09 16:20         ` Dave Neary
From: Dave Neary @ 2016-02-09 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Monkman, O'Driscoll, Tim, dev, Laura Kempke, Michael Dolan

Is there any substantive feedback on this? It seems like silence =
consensus (or that the people who might care more are not on this list).

My suggestion is to go to the next stage, start drafting a membership
agreement and identify potential members to recruit. Will the Linux
Foundation take point on recruiting members, or does that fall to the
community too?

Thanks,
Dave.

--

@ 2015-12-17 15:28 ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2015-12-17 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Nicholas, mdolan, dev

These are brief minutes of our community call on Wednesday. Please feel free to post any corrections or additions.

Attendees:  Amruta Zende, Andrey, Bruce Richardson, Chris Wright, Dave Neary, Frank Zdarsky, Heqing Zhu, Jerin Jacob, Jim St Leger, John Bromhead, John DiGiglio, Keith Wiles, Konstantin Ananyev, Lixuming, M Jay, Mike Dolan, Nan, Panu Matilainen, Rashid Khan, Sanjay Aiyagari, Scott Nicholas, Siobhan Butler, Stephen Hemminger, Tao Yang, Thomas Monjalon, Tim O'Driscoll, Yoshihiro Nakajima.
Note: This list is taken from the GoToMeeting tool, but since people joined/left at different times it may not be complete.

Architecture Board:
- Stephen asked how frequently we should review membership. Agreed that we should review at least annually. Our next community event (we'll hold a follow-up to Userspace in Dublin in September-October) would be a good time/place to discuss how well this is working and any required changes.
- Jim asked if all the people nominated have confirmed that they're willing to participate. They have.

- Agreed that we now have an Architecture Board! The members will agree a time amongst themselves for a first meeting in January.
- Thanks to Thomas, Bruce, Stephen, Jerin, Panu, Olivier and Konstantin for agreeing to participate and provide technical direction for the project.

Linux Foundation:
- Mike Dolan presented the attached slides.
- Dave Neary asked if the LF model was all or nothing. Can a project pick and choose which elements it wants, or does it need to adopt the entire LF governance model? Mike confirmed that it's entirely up to each project which aspects they choose to adopt.
- There was some discussion on trademarks. As far as everybody on the call is aware, nobody has trademarked DPDK. Mike suggested that it's probably worth registering to prevent anybody else from doing so. LF can help with this process.
- There was a question on whether just the ownership of the dpdk.org domain would need to transition to LF, or if DNS would need to change too. Mike confirmed that it would just be a change in ownership of the domain and no DNS changes are required.
- Can you still have individuals who are not associated with an LF member participate as part of the decision-making process (e.g. a community rep on the board)? Mike confirmed that this is possible.
- Thomas asked about the scope of the project governance. Mike described it as a decision-making body that will determine how the project funds will be spent. This is completely separate from technical governance of the project, which we've dealt with separately via the Architecture Board.
- Agreed that we'll create a small team to work with the Linux Foundation to create a specific proposal for the project that will then be reviewed with the community. The following people volunteered on the call: Dave Neary, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger, Tim O'Driscoll. If anybody else is interested in participating, please let me know. We did agree that we should keep this to a max of 5-6 people.

Tim

[-- Attachment #2: LF Overview for DPDK Community - 16 December 2015.pdf --]

* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Community Call - Linux Foundation
@ 2015-12-10 23:01 O'Driscoll, Tim