* [dpdk-dev] Per-queue bandwidth limit on XL710 NICs?
@ 2016-02-15 17:34 Paul Emmerich
From: Paul Emmerich @ 2016-02-15 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I'm using the per-queue rate control feature found in ixgbe-style NICs
(rte_eth_set_queue_rate_limit) quite extensively in my packet generator
MoonGen.

I've read some parts of the XL710 datasheet and I guess it should be
possible to implement this for this chip. I think there are two ways to
achieves this:

1) Limiting the main VSI and thus the whole port by calling
i40e_aq_config_vsi_bw_limit() in the driver works fine. Thus, creating
multiple VSIs for each rate-controlled queue would be a possible solution.
I'm not sure if that works without major modifications to the driver. I
probably need a VEB for that which currently isn't supported in the driver.

2) Use multiple TCs for the used VSI. That would limit us to 8 rate
limits but that would be okay. Probably the simpler solution.

Can anyone with more insight into the XL710 hardware give me some hints
on implementing this?

  Paul

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-02-15 17:34 UTC | newest]