* [dpdk-dev] Question on DPDK multi-process support
@ 2014-02-17 15:48 Mauro Annarumma
From: Mauro Annarumma @ 2014-02-17 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
I have some doubts on the DPDK multi-process support:

1) According to the Programmers Guide (pag. 109 - 20.3 Multi-process Limitations), one of the multi-process limitations is:

"All Intel® DPDK processes running as a single application and using shared memory must have distinct coremask arguments. It is not possible to have a primary and secondary instance, or two secondary instances, using any of the same logical cores. Attempting to do so can cause corruption of memory pool caches, among other issues."

Does it mean that I can run a number of DPDK processes at most equal to the number of my CPU logical cores? In the case I run 2 mono-lcore DPDK processes with the same coremask, what are the possible issues?

2) Can a secondary process use the rte_eth_rx_burst over a queue of a NIC port configured in the primary process?

Regards,
 Mauro