From: "Richardson, Bruce" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
To: Marc Sune <marc.sune@bisdn.de>, "<dev@dpdk.org>" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] RTE_EAL on single core CPUs
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 12:55:38 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Marc,

I think in your case you've hit more a limitation of the particular app, rather than one for the EAL. L2fwd requires more than a single core to run, but you can easily write applications that can handle packets from multiple ports using a single core.
Where you may hit issues, though, is that you cannot isolate the single core cpu from the linux kernel, so you may need to ensure you have enough buffering throughout the app to avoid packet loss when the kernel interrupts you to do its own house-keeping tasks.

Regards,
/Bruce