From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>
To: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] resolve conflict between net/ethernet.h and rte_ethdev.h
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:44:16 +0100	[thread overview]

2014-12-27 15:13, Stephen Hemminger:
> This is a patch to address the conflict between <net/ethernet.h>
> and the definitions in <rte_ethdev.h>. It has two side effects
> worth discussion:
>   1. It forces inclusion of net/ethernet.h
>   2. It has definition to deal with the differing structure elements
>      in the two versions of struct ether_addr.
>
> By doing this ether_ntoa and related functions can be used without
> messing with prototypes.
>
> Alternative is more complex #ifdef magic like linux/libc-compat.h

[...]

> +#include <net/ethernet.h>

[...]

> +/* Deprecated definition to allow for compatiablity with net/ethernet.h */
> +#define addr_bytes	ether_addr_octet

This is defining a common identifier without prefix.
So it will be forbidden to use addr_bytes as variable name.
I understand you are trying to keep compatibility with both structures,
but the drawback is really nasty.
Is there another solution? Or at least, we could mark it as deprecated and
remove it in release 2.1.

--
Thomas