* DPDK LTS release
@ 2022-02-21  6:47 Kamaraj P
From: Kamaraj P @ 2022-02-21  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: hpai

Hi Team,

We are planning to upgrade the DPDK stable LTS version from DPDK19.11.
Could you please suggest what would be the stable LTS version of DPDK ?

Thanks,
Kamaraj

* Re: DPDK LTS release
@ 2022-02-21 10:23 ` Kevin Traynor
From: Kevin Traynor @ 2022-02-21 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamaraj P, dev; +Cc: hpai

On 21/02/2022 06:47, Kamaraj P wrote:
> Hi Team,

Hi,

> We are planning to upgrade the DPDK stable LTS version from DPDK19.11.
> Could you please suggest what would be the stable LTS version of DPDK ?

If you are looking for an LTS version that will be maintained for the
longest time in the future, then you can jump to the latest DPDK LTS
series 21.11.

It will be maintained with backported bugfixes until at least November
2023, but we are trialing longer support on some LTS releases so there
is a possibility it might be extended.

If you take a look at http://core.dpdk.org/roadmap/#stable you can see
the current roadmap of how long each LTS version is maintained for.

thanks,
Kevin.

> Thanks,
> Kamaraj

* Re: DPDK LTS release
@ 2022-02-23 16:16   ` Kamaraj P
From: Kamaraj P @ 2022-02-23 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Traynor; +Cc: dev, hpai, Kamaraj P (kamp)

Thanks Kevin.

Apart from release notes to identify changes of DPDK version from 19.11 to
21.11, is there any any major design changes in DPDK ? for example (memory
management, mempool allocation behavior etc)
Please share if there is any pointers.

Thanks,
Kamaraj

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 3:53 PM Kevin Traynor <ktraynor@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 21/02/2022 06:47, Kamaraj P wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> >

> Hi,
>
> > We are planning to upgrade the DPDK stable LTS version from DPDK19.11.
> > Could you please suggest what would be the stable LTS version of DPDK ?
> >

> If you are looking for an LTS version that will be maintained for the
> longest time in the future, then you can jump to the latest DPDK LTS
> series 21.11.
>
> It will be maintained with backported bugfixes until at least November
> 2023, but we are trialing longer support on some LTS releases so there
> is a possibility it might be extended.
>
> If you take a look at http://core.dpdk.org/roadmap/#stable you can see
> the current roadmap of how long each LTS version is maintained for.
>
> thanks,
> Kevin.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Kamaraj

* Re: DPDK LTS release
@ 2022-02-23 16:57     ` Kevin Traynor
From: Kevin Traynor @ 2022-02-23 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamaraj P; +Cc: dev, hpai, Kamaraj P (kamp)

On 23/02/2022 16:16, Kamaraj P wrote:
> Thanks Kevin.
>
> Apart from release notes to identify changes of DPDK version from 19.11 to
> 21.11, is there any any major design changes in DPDK ? for example (memory
> management, mempool allocation behavior etc)
> Please share if there is any pointers.

Notably the make based build system was removed in 20.11, but you'll
need to check the release notes [0] to see what else impacts you. In
particular the 20.11 and 21.11 were ABI breaking releases.

[0] http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/rel_notes/index.html