From: "Morten Brørup" <mb@smartsharesystems.com>
To: "Jerin Jacob" <jerinjacobk@gmail.com>,
	"Andrew Rybchenko" <andrew.rybchenko@oktetlabs.ru>
Cc: "dpdk-dev" <dev@dpdk.org>, <techboard@dpdk.org>
Subject: RE: Optimizations are not features
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 14:19:38 +0200	[thread overview]

Test combinations are exponential for N features, regardless if N are runtime or compile time options.

> > Of course, we can
> > limit number of checked combinations, but it will result in
> > flow of patches to fix build in other cases.
>
> The build breakage can be fixed if we use (2) vs (1)
>
> 1)
> #ifdef ...
> My feature
> #endif
>
> 2)
> static __rte_always_inline int
> rte_has_xyz_feature(void)
> {
> #ifdef RTE_LIBRTE_XYZ_FEATURE
>         return RTE_LIBRTE_XYZ_FEATURE;
> #else
>         return 0;
> #endif
> }
>
> if(rte_has_xyz_feature())) {
> My feature code
>
> }

I'm not sure all the features can be covered by that, e.g. added fields in structures.

Also, I would consider such features "opt in" at compile time only. As such, they could be allowed to break the ABI/API.