* DPDK official roadmap
@ 2023-01-11 10:08 Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2023-01-11 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas, Nathan Southern; +Cc: dev, bruce.richardson, Tyler Retzlaff

Thomas, Nathan,

The DPDK roadmap web page [1] is essentially two lists of specific features probably coming in the short term, or in some unknown future.

[1] https://core.dpdk.org/roadmap/

We might want to publish the list of high level, long term ambitions here, as they are decided by the Tech Board. This would provide valuable information for DPDK application developers (if not following the mailing list).

I'm thinking of topics such as:
* DTS in the main repository,
* C99 and C11 support (preferably with release dates/versions), and
* Slimming the EAL (if this becomes an official goal of the project).

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
-Morten Brørup

* Re: DPDK official roadmap
@ 2023-01-11 14:24 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2023-01-11 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: Nathan Southern, dev, bruce.richardson, Tyler Retzlaff

11/01/2023 11:08, Morten Brørup:
> Thomas, Nathan,
>
> The DPDK roadmap web page [1] is essentially two lists of specific features probably coming in the short term, or in some unknown future.
>
> [1] https://core.dpdk.org/roadmap/
>
> We might want to publish the list of high level, long term ambitions here, as they are decided by the Tech Board. This would provide valuable information for DPDK application developers (if not following the mailing list).
>
> I'm thinking of topics such as:
> * DTS in the main repository,
> * C99 and C11 support (preferably with release dates/versions), and
> * Slimming the EAL (if this becomes an official goal of the project).

I agree, we should better publish the intents in the roadmap page.
For driver-specific changes, it goes through the roadmap easily already.
For global technical changes, it may require a techboard vote first.
I would like to add a section for easy work that newcomers could pick.

* RE: DPDK official roadmap
@ 2023-01-11 16:28   ` Morten Brørup
> > The DPDK roadmap web page [1] is essentially two lists of specific
> features probably coming in the short term, or in some unknown future.
> >
> > [1] https://core.dpdk.org/roadmap/
> >
> > We might want to publish the list of high level, long term ambitions
> here, as they are decided by the Tech Board. This would provide
> valuable information for DPDK application developers (if not following
> the mailing list).
> >
> > I'm thinking of topics such as:
> > * DTS in the main repository,
> > * C99 and C11 support (preferably with release dates/versions), and
> > * Slimming the EAL (if this becomes an official goal of the project).
>
> I agree, we should better publish the intents in the roadmap page.
> For driver-specific changes, it goes through the roadmap easily
> already.
> For global technical changes, it may require a techboard vote first.

In principle, the current decision process should suffice: The DPDK high level roadmap should reflect consensus in the community. And if there is no consensus, it becomes a techboard decision.

On the other hand, techboard meetings are relatively frequent, so requiring techboard approval for wide ranging changes could be a good safeguard.

> I would like to add a section for easy work that newcomers could pick.

Good idea!