* [dpdk-dev] MEMNIC [How can we achieve max through put using memnic interfaces]
@ 2014-07-21 15:15 Srinivas Reddi
From: Srinivas Reddi @ 2014-07-21 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, Hiroshi Shimamoto

Hi,
                I wrote a test application using MEMNIC  interfaces for inter VM switching .[VM1  --> host  --- >VM2 ]
                I send  uni-directional traffic from traffic generator at vm1  to the host .
                And  in the host my application switches traffic  coming from vm1 to vm2.
                I  have used dpdk-1.7 and memnic -1.2 . and librte_pmd_memnic_copy.so to bind memnic interfaces to dpdk application [my traffic generator app].
                I observed  a maximum throughput of around 470Mbps only [with packet size 1400 Bytes,21,000 packets per second ]   ..
                Is there any best method to improve throughput  using MEMNIC interfaces ..
                If I increase shared memory area shown below  .. does it  servers my need .
                If I want around 4 to 5 Gbps through put with unidirectional flow from VM1 to VM2  through the host ..
                How much shared memory area shall I take per port ..
                What might be the memory alignment ..

/*
* Shared memory area mapping
* +------------------+
* | Header Area  1MB |
* +------------------+
* | Up to VM     7MB |
* +------------------+
* | Padding      1MB |
* +------------------+
* | Down to host 7MB |
* +------------------+
*/
struct memnic_area {
    union {
        struct memnic_header hdr;
        char hdr_pad[1024 * 1024];
    };
    union {
        struct memnic_data up;
        char up_pad[7 * 1024 * 1024];
    };
    char blank[1024 * 1024];
    union {
        struct memnic_data down;
        char down_pad[7 * 1024 * 1024];
    };
};

Thanks & Regards,
Srinivas.

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-07-21 15:14 UTC | newest]