* [dpdk-dev] DPDK: receive single packet at a time
@ 2016-03-29 11:32 Mohan Prasad
From: Mohan Prasad @ 2016-03-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

Is there any option to receive single packet at a time with dpdk?

Thanks,
Mohan

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK: receive single packet at a time
@ 2016-03-29 12:56 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-03-29 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Prasad, dev

>Hi,
>
>Is there any option to receive single packet at a time with dpdk?

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but if you just request a single packet with

struct rte_mbuf *mbuf;
rte_eth_rx_burst(port_id, queue_id, &mbuf, 1);

will return only one packet as a time.

>Thanks,
>Mohan

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK: receive single packet at a time
@ 2016-03-29 13:01   ` Mohan Prasad
From: Mohan Prasad @ 2016-03-29 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev

Hi,

I have tried this and it does not work

Thanks,
Mohan

@ 2016-03-29 13:08     ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-03-29 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Prasad; +Cc: dev

From:  Mohan Prasad <kcmohanprasad@gmail.com>
Date:  Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:01 AM
To:  Keith Wiles <keith.wiles@intel.com>
Cc:  "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject:  Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK: receive single packet at a time

>Hi,
>I have tried this and it does not work

Then something else is wrong as this work in Pktgen-DPDK, I can send one packet and receive one packet even when I ask for 32 packets at a time. Are you receiving any packets?

I am using a 82599 NIC and if you are using some other type of NIC, I will not be able to help much.

>Thanks,
>Mohan
>On Mar 29, 2016 6:26 PM, "Wiles, Keith" <keith.wiles@intel.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Is there any option to receive single packet at a time with dpdk?
>
>Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but if you just request a single packet with
>
>struct rte_mbuf *mbuf;
>rte_eth_rx_burst(port_id, queue_id, &mbuf, 1);
>
>will return only one packet as a time.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Mohan
>>

>Regards,
>Keith

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK: receive single packet at a time
@ 2016-03-29 13:16     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2016-03-29 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Prasad; +Cc: Wiles, Keith, dev

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 06:31:58PM +0530, Mohan Prasad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried this and it does not work

What type of NIC are you using. If you are using ixgbe or i40e, try disabling
the vector PMD in your build-time configuration to see if it makes a difference.

However, why do you want to receive just a single packet at a time. Why not just
receive a burst of packets and then process them one at a time? It's much more
efficient that way, and you should get better performance from your application.

/Bruce

@ 2016-03-29 13:21       ` Mohan Prasad
From: Mohan Prasad @ 2016-03-29 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: dev

Even I am using "82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection" card only.

I am able to send single packet but not able to receive single packets, I
can receive burst only.

I am just building an application for tcp connection on dpdk. Anyways will
try disabling vector PMD and give it a try

Thanks,
Mohan

@ 2016-03-30  5:36       ` Mohan Prasad
From: Mohan Prasad @ 2016-03-30  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: Wiles, Keith, dev

Hi Bruce,

Could not get it working by disabling the vector PMD, Do you have any
example where it works?

Thanks,
Mohan

@ 2016-03-31 11:42         ` Mohan Prasad
From: Mohan Prasad @ 2016-03-31 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: Wiles, Keith, dev

@ 2016-03-31 12:40           ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-03-31 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Prasad, Richardson, Bruce; +Cc: dev

From:  Mohan Prasad <kcmohanprasad@gmail.com>
Date:  Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 6:42 AM
To:  Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Cc:  Keith Wiles <keith.wiles@intel.com>, "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>

>Could not get it working by disabling the vector PMD, Do you have any example where it works?

I would expect the examples like l2fwd or l2fwd work in this way if the PMD is not enabled. The pktgen-dpdk I know will work with a single packet send and received. The code is on the dpdk.org/download directory.

>Thanks,
>Mohan
>

>On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Mohan Prasad
><kcmohanprasad@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Bruce,
>
>Could not get it working by disabling the vector PMD, Do you have any example where it works?
>
>Thanks,
>Mohan
>

>On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Bruce Richardson
><bruce.richardson@intel.com> wrote:
>
>On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 06:31:58PM +0530, Mohan Prasad wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tried this and it does not work
>>

>What type of NIC are you using. If you are using ixgbe or i40e, try disabling
>the vector PMD in your build-time configuration to see if it makes a difference.
>
>However, why do you want to receive just a single packet at a time. Why not just
>receive a burst of packets and then process them one at a time? It's much more
>efficient that way, and you should get better performance from your application.
>
>/Bruce
>

>> Thanks,
>> Mohan

>> > Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but if you just
>> > request a single packet with
>> >
>> > struct rte_mbuf *mbuf;
>> > rte_eth_rx_burst(port_id, queue_id, &mbuf, 1);
>> >
>> > will return only one packet as a time.

>> > Regards,
>> > Keith

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK: receive single packet at a time
@ 2016-03-31 12:43             ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-03-31 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohan Prasad, Richardson, Bruce; +Cc: dev

>From:  Mohan Prasad <kcmohanprasad@gmail.com>
>Date:  Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 6:42 AM
>To:  Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
>Cc:  Keith Wiles <keith.wiles@intel.com>, "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
>Subject:  Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK: receive single packet at a time
>

>>Could not get it working by disabling the vector PMD, Do you have any example where it works?
>>

>I would expect the examples like l2fwd or l2fwd work in this way if the PMD is not enabled. The pktgen-dpdk I know will work with a single packet send and received. The code is on the dpdk.org/download directory.

Another possible debug is to run one of the l2fwd, l3fwd or pktgen and verify they work or not.

>>Thanks,
>>Mohan
>>

>>On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Mohan Prasad
>><kcmohanprasad@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hi Bruce,
>>
>>Could not get it working by disabling the vector PMD, Do you have any example where it works?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Mohan
>>

>>On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Bruce Richardson
>><bruce.richardson@intel.com> wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 06:31:58PM +0530, Mohan Prasad wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have tried this and it does not work
>>>

>>What type of NIC are you using. If you are using ixgbe or i40e, try disabling
>>the vector PMD in your build-time configuration to see if it makes a difference.
>>
>>However, why do you want to receive just a single packet at a time. Why not just
>>receive a burst of packets and then process them one at a time? It's much more
>>efficient that way, and you should get better performance from your application.
>>
>>/Bruce
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Mohan

>Regards,