* [dpdk-dev] Ionic PMD - can we still get patches into a 20.02 stable?
@ 2020-11-02 16:17 Andrew Boyer
From: Andrew Boyer @ 2020-11-02 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello DPDK folks,
I am ready to start submitting some patches to bring the Pensando ionic PMD up to speed. The first batch will be a practice run of some minor things, if that’s acceptable.

It appears that the 20.02 release is no longer being maintained. Is that correct? Is it possible for us to get patches into a new stable release of 20.02? They would only affect our PMD and not affect the ABI or anything.

It looks like I have just about missed the boat on 20.11 - would you prefer patches this week or should I hold them until December?

Thank you,
Andrew
Pensando

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Ionic PMD - can we still get patches into a 20.02 stable?
@ 2020-11-02 16:25 ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2020-11-02 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Boyer, dev

On 02-Nov-20 4:17 PM, Andrew Boyer wrote:
> Hello DPDK folks,
> I am ready to start submitting some patches to bring the Pensando ionic PMD up to speed. The first batch will be a practice run of some minor things, if that’s acceptable.
>
> It appears that the 20.02 release is no longer being maintained. Is that correct? Is it possible for us to get patches into a new stable release of 20.02? They would only affect our PMD and not affect the ABI or anything.
>
> It looks like I have just about missed the boat on 20.11 - would you prefer patches this week or should I hold them until December?
>
> Thank you,
> Andrew
> Pensando

20.02 is not an LTS so there won't be any more releases.

You can send the patches any time, but at this stage they won't be
pulled in to 20.11. You may help maintainers by creating an account at
patchwork [1] and marking your patches as "Deferred" once you send them.
They will be marked as "New" once the development of the new release
commences.

[1] https://patchwork.dpdk.org

Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Ionic PMD - can we still get patches into a 20.02 stable?
@ 2020-11-02 16:31 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2020-11-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Boyer, dev

On 11/2/2020 4:17 PM, Andrew Boyer wrote:
> Hello DPDK folks,
> I am ready to start submitting some patches to bring the Pensando ionic PMD up to speed. The first batch will be a practice run of some minor things, if that’s acceptable.

Hi Andrew,

If you recognized 'ionic' is marked as 'UNMAINTAINED' in the current tree.
I would like to see it to get proper updates and be back up to date.

> It appears that the 20.02 release is no longer being maintained. Is that correct? Is it possible for us to get patches into a new stable release of 20.02? They would only affect our PMD and not affect the ABI or anything.

20.02 is no longer maintained.

xx.11 releases are long term stable releases and they are maintained for two years.
v18.11 is almost end of life, with the current release, v20.11, the v19.11 &
v20.11 will be active LTS releases.

> It looks like I have just about missed the boat on 20.11 - would you prefer patches this week or should I hold them until December?

As said above I am for getting updates, -rc2 is tomorrow so most probably it is
already too late.
But I am OK to get 'ionic' specific patches for -rc3 too, this gives an
additional week for this release, if it is enough for you.

But let me warn you, we are very close to the release, if something goes wrong
with this last minute code, you many not have enough time to detect and fix it
and driver may be released broken, which won't put you in a better situation.

If there are issues that you can fix and verify with confidence in this short
time frame, lets try to squeeze them, but if the changes are big I suggest
waiting the next release.