* [dpdk-dev] [RFC] location for DPDK related white papers
@ 2015-10-23 10:28 Mcnamara, John
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2015-10-23 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

We have had a few people wishing to submit DPDK related white papers.
These tend to focus on particular aspects of DPDK and don't fit into
any of the existing documents.

Where should these be stored/made available? Some options:

* In the repo, in RST format in a doc/guides/white_paper directory.
* On dpdk.org in PDF format.
* Elsewhere.

Any comments, suggestions?

John.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] location for DPDK related white papers
@ 2015-10-23 13:41 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-10-23 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John; +Cc: dev

2015-10-23 10:28, Mcnamara, John:
> We have had a few people wishing to submit DPDK related white papers.
> These tend to focus on particular aspects of DPDK and don't fit into
> any of the existing documents.
>
> Where should these be stored/made available? Some options:
>
> * In the repo, in RST format in a doc/guides/white_paper directory.
> * On dpdk.org in PDF format.
> * Elsewhere.
>
> Any comments, suggestions?

I would like to comment but I don't really know what means "white papers".
Why not ask the question while submitting such document?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] location for DPDK related white papers
@ 2015-10-23 13:48 ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2015-10-23 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John; +Cc: dev

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 5:28 AM, Mcnamara, John <john.mcnamara@intel.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have had a few people wishing to submit DPDK related white papers.
> These tend to focus on particular aspects of DPDK and don't fit into
> any of the existing documents.
>
> Where should these be stored/made available? Some options:
>
> * In the repo, in RST format in a doc/guides/white_paper directory.
> * On dpdk.org in PDF format.
> * Elsewhere.
>
> Any comments, suggestions?

PDFs on dpdk.org

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] location for DPDK related white papers
@ 2015-10-23 14:48   ` Mcnamara, John
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2015-10-23 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I would like to comment but I don't really know what means "white papers".

Hi,

A "white paper" is like an academic paper but originating from a company (or non-academic entity). For example here is one that is related to DPDK:

https://networkbuilders.intel.com/docs/IntelDPDK_PacketThroughputVirtualNetwork.pdf

> Why not ask the question while submitting such document?

Mainly because converting the document to RST will take some effort (in particular the images).

@ 2015-10-23 14:52     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-10-23 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John; +Cc: dev

2015-10-23 14:48, Mcnamara, John:
> From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas.monjalon@6wind.com]
> > I would like to comment but I don't really know what means "white papers".
>
> A "white paper" is like an academic paper but originating from a company
> (or non-academic entity). For example here is one that is related to DPDK:
> https://networkbuilders.intel.com/docs/IntelDPDK_PacketThroughputVirtualNetwork.pdf

It seems to be well hosted on intel.com.
Maybe you would like a page on dpdk.org to gather interesting links to
documents related to DPDK?
So we should probably define a clear scope and acceptance rules to accept
adding a new link?

> > Why not ask the question while submitting such document?
>
> Mainly because converting the document to RST will take some effort (in particular the images).

OK makes sense

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] location for DPDK related white papers
@ 2015-10-23 15:07 ` Dave Neary
From: Dave Neary @ 2015-10-23 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mcnamara, John, dev

Hi,

On 10/23/2015 06:28 AM, Mcnamara, John wrote:
> We have had a few people wishing to submit DPDK related white papers.
> These tend to focus on particular aspects of DPDK and don't fit into
> any of the existing documents.
>
> Where should these be stored/made available? Some options:
>
> * In the repo, in RST format in a doc/guides/white_paper directory.

This would be my preference. We could create PDF versions alongside
them, but the sources should be editable (enables updates over time).

> * On dpdk.org in PDF format.
> * Elsewhere.
>
> Any comments, suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] location for DPDK related white papers
@ 2015-10-23 16:19   ` Marc
From: Marc @ 2015-10-23 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Neary; +Cc: dev

On 23 October 2015 at 17:07, Dave Neary <dneary@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/23/2015 06:28 AM, Mcnamara, John wrote:
> > We have had a few people wishing to submit DPDK related white papers.
> > These tend to focus on particular aspects of DPDK and don't fit into
> > any of the existing documents.
> >
> > Where should these be stored/made available? Some options:
> >
> > * In the repo, in RST format in a doc/guides/white_paper directory.
>
> This would be my preference. We could create PDF versions alongside
> them, but the sources should be editable (enables updates over time).

My two cents,

I would not pollute the code repository with the history of
whitepapers/papers. In addition and as said, there will be the need to
inevitably version binary files like images, which will increase the size
of the (code) repo quite rapidly.

I would, at most, use a separate git submodule in that location, only
populated at wish.

Having completely separate repository under dpdk.org or simply the PDFs/raw
RST in the website seem better options.

Marc