* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-dev, 1/3] rte_interrupts: add rte_eal_intr_exit to shut down IRQ thread
@ 2020-08-13 22:28 Bly, Mike
From: Bly, Mike @ 2020-08-13 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cunming.liang; +Cc: dev, mhall, thomas.monjalon

Has anyone created a dev-ticket to run this discussion to ground? I see below thread went stale in 2016...

Is there a "better approach" to integrating rte_eal_intr_exit() support/concepts into our applications?

-Mike

From: "Liang, Cunming" <cunming.liang@intel.com>

To: Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>

Cc: Matthew Hall <mhall@mhcomputing.net>, "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>

Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-dev, 1/3] rte_interrupts: add rte_eal_intr_exit to shut down IRQ thread<http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/D0158A423229094DA7ABF71CF2FA0DA31554689D@shsmsx102.ccr.corp.intel.com/#r>

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 04:07:29 +0000

Hi Thomas,

Base on the previous conversation, at least it requires v2 to reword some comments.

> > > Agreed.

In addition, one conversion is not close.

> > > I am not so experienced with this "default termination handler". Can

> someone

> > > clarify what it is so I could comment better about it?

> > For example, you're handling SIGINT. After finishing your necessary app

> > cleanup, then 'signal(SIGINT, SIG_DFL); raise(SIGINT);'.

> > The default signal handler can terminate the interrupt thread.

> > > Yes if someone call tell me more about what it is so I can check it.

Thanks,

Cunming

@ 2016-07-11  4:07           ` Liang, Cunming
From: Liang, Cunming @ 2016-07-11  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Matthew Hall, dev

@ 2016-07-08 17:36         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-07-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang, Cunming; +Cc: Matthew Hall, dev

@ 2016-03-23  3:24       ` Liang, Cunming
From: Liang, Cunming @ 2016-03-23  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: thomas.monjalon, dev

@ 2016-03-22  7:39     ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2016-03-22  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liang, Cunming; +Cc: thomas.monjalon, dev

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 03:58:44PM +0800, Liang, Cunming wrote:
> the default termination handler

I am not so experienced with this "default termination handler". Can someone
clarify what it is so I could comment better about it?

> If EINTR is caused by some non-term purpose signals, are you going
> to exit the interrupt thread any way?

We should discuss what makes sense here. I'm just trying to get some things
working and finding EINTR was getting eaten and causing infinite looping.

> Without setting 'PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED' won't cause the infinite
> loop. However by using pthread_cancel to terminate the thread,
> indeed it's necessary to set 'PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED'.

My general understanding is that PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED should be used for
any thread, which should not keep a process open by itself if it is executing,
i.e. a "daemon thread". I believe the interrupt thread qualifies as such a
thread if I have understood everything right (which is hard to promise when
you only work in DPDK in spare time).

> It looks like 'pthread_cancel' is the right way and I saw it
> continue keeps current EINTR handling in EAL interrupt thread.

It is one option. Depending what makes the most sense.

> 1. Can you explain and add patch comments why default signal handler
> is not good enough to terminate app.

Yes if someone call tell me more about what it is so I can check it.

> 2. I propose to add addition comments on rte_epoll_wait() API
> description. For any signal, it causes an error return, user needs
> to handle.

Agreed.

> 3. Will you do a favorite to add 'PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED' to all
> EAL pthread too.

As a spare time developer I am a bit conservative about too large of a scope
and messing with code for other threads or features I didn't personally use or
test. This is because I don't have the same QA resources as Intel / 6WIND /
etc.. Some help from a full time developer would be great here.

> Cunming

Matthew.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-dev, 1/3] rte_interrupts: add rte_eal_intr_exit to shut down IRQ thread
@ 2016-03-21  7:58   ` Liang, Cunming
From: Liang, Cunming @ 2016-03-21  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Hall; +Cc: thomas.monjalon, dev

Hi Matthew,

On 3/18/2016 6:55 AM, Matthew Hall wrote:
>  From Cunming:
>> I'm trying to understand the motivation.
>>
>> I don't think you're going to gracefully exit intr thread but leave all
>> other eal threads live. We don't have API to new launch intr thread again.
> The doc comment added for rte_eal_intr_exit already explains this. According
> to the doc I wrote, use of the function is limited to shutting everything
> down.
>
>> So I guess your app is using own pthread(none EAL thread), you're trying to
>> safely shutdown the whole application by your signal handler.
> No, the app is using DPDK pthreads, and trying to shutdown everything safely
> and cleanly w/ its signal handler, across DPDK and many other services in the
> app.
Get you. You don't satisfy with the default termination signal
handler(SIG_DEL). The purpose is to safely clean everything by
self-defined signal handler. Can you share us more of your observation
on why the default termination handler is not enough/safe? As some of
the samples are using it to terminate app, your concern may be necessary
to apply on them as well.

> Unfortunately, right now from my experience it is impossible to get everything to
> cleanly shutdown, one an interrupt thread is activated. Because interrupt
> threads violate violate POSIX semantics:
>
> 1) It ignores EINTR and immediately forcibly restarts a poll() syscall. If the
> signal is delivered to the interrupt thread of the process by the kernel, this
> makes the thread uninterruptible to process the signal. Stuck running forever.
If EINTR is caused by some non-term purpose signals, are you going to
exit the interrupt thread any way?

> 2) It does not properly set PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED for a background thread.
> So it holds the process open for its infinite loop of poll(). Stuck running
> forever.
Without setting 'PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED' won't cause the infinite loop.
However by using pthread_cancel to terminate the thread, indeed it's
necessary to set 'PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED'.

> 3) There is no way to access the thread_id from intr_thread. So then you can't
> call pthread_cancel on it to shut it down. Stuck running forever.
It looks like 'pthread_cancel' is the right way and I saw it continue
keeps current EINTR handling in EAL interrupt thread.

>> For this purpose, the device shall close safely(turn off intr) during the
>> time, intr thread still wait but no event will be raised.
> In theory yes. In practice no. Because the intr thread violated POSIX rules
> for background processing threads per above.
>
>> In this view, it seems not necessary to have this new. Can you explain more
>> detail for the purpose?
> Based on my testing, I disagree. I could not get reliable shutdowns without
> this, or I wouldn't have coded it. (:

Now it's clear to me, overall it's fine. Three additional comments.

@ 2016-03-17 22:55 ` Matthew Hall
From: Matthew Hall @ 2016-03-17 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: thomas.monjalon, cunming.liang