* [dpdk-dev] tx_burst errors seen with virtual pmds
@ 2016-01-07  6:15 Dey, Souvik
From: Dey, Souvik @ 2016-01-07  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi All,
                While trying call load with virtio_pmd/vmxnet3_pmd , I am seeing  that at around 100Mbps, we are having tx_burst errors. We are currently using DPDK 2.1 and send 1 packet at a time. When we try the same with ixgbe_vf we are not seeing similar drops. Is there any issues with the virtual pmds which is causing  this tx drops. We are using tx descriptor as 1024 and 1 tx queue to send out packets.

Souvik

* Re: [dpdk-dev] tx_burst errors seen with virtual pmds
@ 2016-01-07  8:48 ` Tan, Jianfeng
From: Tan, Jianfeng @ 2016-01-07  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dey, Souvik, dev

Hi Souvik,

IMO, for virtio and vmxnet3, there's a frontend in guest and a backend in host.
And mostly, backend driver does the data copies, which spends more CPU than
frontend. So the tx descriptor queue could be always full, which leads to tx error.

Thanks,
Jianfeng

* Re: [dpdk-dev] tx_burst errors seen with virtual pmds
@ 2016-01-07  9:40   ` Dey, Souvik
From: Dey, Souvik @ 2016-01-07  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tan, Jianfeng, dev

So is there no resolution to this issue ?