From: "Ananyev, Konstantin" <konstantin.ananyev@intel.com>
To: Honnappa Nagarahalli <Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com>,
	"Gujjar, Abhinandan S" <abhinandan.gujjar@intel.com>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,
	"Doherty, Declan" <declan.doherty@intel.com>
Cc: "jerinj@marvell.com" <jerinj@marvell.com>,
	"Akhil.goyal@nxp.com" <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>,
	"Vangati, Narender" <narender.vangati@intel.com>, nd <nd@arm.com>,
	nd <nd@arm.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [v2 1/2] cryptodev: support enqueue callback functions
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:06:52 +0000	[thread overview]

> > rcu_qsbr_online()/rcu_qsbr_offline().

> > enqueue/dequeue.

> > way.

> > > Please note that this is being implemented using the memory
> > > reclamation framework documented at
> > > https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/rcu_lib.html#resource-reclamati
> > > on-framework-for-dpdk
> > >
> > > While using RCU there are couple of trade-offs that applications have to
> > consider:
> > > 1) Performance - reporting the quiescent state too often results in
> > > performance impact on data plane
> > > 2) Amount of outstanding memory to reclaim - reporting less often
> > > results in more outstanding memory to reclaim
> > >
> > > Hence, the quiescent state reporting is left to the application. The
> > > application decides how often it reports the quiescent state and has control
> > over the data plane performance and the outstanding memory to reclaim.
> > >
> > > When you say "new working model for crypto-dev enqueue/dequeue",
> > >
> > > 1) are you comparing these with existing crypto-dev enqueue/dequeue
> > APIs? If yes, these are new APIs, it is not breaking anything.
> > > 2) are you comparing these with existing call back functions in ethdev
> > > enqueue/dequeue APIs? If yes, agree that this is a new model. But, it is
> > possible to support what ethdev supports along with the RCU method used
> > in this patch.
> >
> > What I am talking about:
> >
> > Existing cryptodev enqueue/dequeue model doesn't require for the user to
> > manage any RCU QSBR state manually.
> > I believe that addition of ability to add/remove enqueue/dequeue callbacks
> > shouldn't change existing working model.
> > I think that adding/removing such callbacks has to be opaque to the user DP
> > code and shouldn't require user to change it. Same as we have now for
> > ethdev callback implementation.
> The ethdev callback implementation conveniently leaves the problem of freeing memory to the user to resolve, it does not handle the issue.
> Hence, it "looks" to be opaque to the DP code. However, if the application has to implement a safe way to free the call back memory, its DP
> is affected based on call backs are being used or not.

Yes, I think that's big drawback in initial ethdev callback implementation -
it simply ignores DP/CP sync problem completely.
Though I think it is possible to have both here:
 keep callback "opaque" to DP code and provide some sync mechanism between DP/CP.
Hopefully one day we can fix ethdev callbacks too.

> > I think that forcing DP code to be aware that callbacks are present or not and
> > to modify its behaviour depending on that nearly voids the purpose of having
> > callbacks at all.
> > In that case DP can just invoke callback function directly from it's codepath .

> > right now.
> > > If I understand this correct, you are talking about a case where in
> > > the application might be registering/unregistering multiple times
> > > during its lifetime. In this case, yes, the application might be reporting the
> > quiescent state even when it has not registered the call backs. But, it has the
> > flexibility to not report it if it implements additional logic.
> > > Note that we are assuming that the application has to report quiescent
> > > state only for using callback functions. Most probably the application has
> > other requirements to use RCU.
> > > Why not support what is done for ethdev call back functions along with
> > providing RCU method?

> > installed or not.

> > zero.

> > > Reporting quiescent state in the call back functions has several
> > disadvantages:
> > > 1) it will have performance impacts and the impacts will increase as the
> > number of data plane threads increase.
> > > 2) It will require additional configuration parameters to control how
> > > often the quiescent state is reported to control the performance impact.
> > > 3) Does not take advantage of the fact that most probably the
> > > application is using RCU already
> > > 4) There are few difficulties as well, please see below.
> >
> > I suggested Abhinandan to use RCU library because it is already there, and I
> > thought it would be good not to re-implement the wheel.
> > Though if you feel librte_rcu doesn't match that task - fine, let's do it without
> > librte_rcu.
> > After all, what we need here - just an atomic ref count per queue that we are
> > going to increment at entering and leaving list of callbacks inside
> > enqueue/dequeue.
> Ok, looks like I missed the point that a queue is used by a single data plane thread.
> Along with ref count increment you need the memory orderings to avoid race conditions. These will be the same ones used in RCU.
> On the control plane, you need to read this counter and poll for the counter updates. All this is same cost as in RCU.

Agree.

> To control the cost, you
> will have to control the rate of quiescent state reporting and might have to expose this as a configuration parameter.
>
> The other important information you have to consider is if the thread is making any blocking calls, which may be in some other library. The
> thread is supposed to call rcu_qsbr_thread_offline API before calling a blocking call. This allows the RCU to know that this particular thread
> will not report quiescent state. The cryptodev library might not have that information.
>
> If you want to go ahead with this design, you can still use RCU with single thread configuration (like you have mentioned below) and hide
> the details from the application.

Yes,  same thought here -  use rcu_qsbr online/offline for DP part and hide actual sync details inside callback code.