From: "Patel, Rashmin N" <rashmin.n.patel@intel.com>
To: Matthew Hall <mhall@mhcomputing.net>,
	"Vass, Sandor (Nokia - HU/Budapest)" <sandor.vass@nokia.com>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] VMXNET3 on vmware, ping delay
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:56:16 +0000	[thread overview]

For tuning ESXi and vSwitch for latency sensitive workloads, I remember the following paper published by VMware: https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-Tuning-Latency-Sensitive-Workloads.pdf that you can try out.

The overall latency in setup (vmware and dpdk-vm using vmxnet3) remains in vmware-native-driver/vmkernel/vmxnet3-backend/vmx-emulation threads in ESXi. So you can better tune ESXi (as explained in the above white paper) and/or make sure that these important threads are not starving to improve latency and throughput in some cases of this setup.

Thanks,
Rashmin