* [dpdk-dev] Profiling tools for DPDK applications running on VM inside ESXi server
@ 2014-03-01  2:07 Daniel Kan
From: Daniel Kan @ 2014-03-01  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
I’m wondering which profilers are best for profiling DPDK applications running on VM: perf, oprofile, vtune? The first 2 are open sourced while vtune is commercial. DPDK apps are running on ubuntu 12.04 and centos 6.5. Thanks.

Dan

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Profiling tools for DPDK applications running on VM inside ESXi server
@ 2014-03-01  2:12 ` Selvaganapathy Chidambaram
From: Selvaganapathy Chidambaram @ 2014-03-01  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kan; +Cc: dev

Hi Dan,

When we tried, perf did not work in ESX, it only works in KVM. oprofile
works in timer mode in ESX.

Thanks,
Selvaganapathy.C.

@ 2014-03-01  6:00   ` Daniel Kan
From: Daniel Kan @ 2014-03-01  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Selvaganapathy Chidambaram; +Cc: dev

Thanks for the tip. Maybe it’s better to optimize code on bare metal before moving to VM.

Dan