From: Shirley Avishour <shirley@imvisiontech.com>
To: Rami Rosen <ramirose@gmail.com>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] running dpdk application on the same machine with other none dpdk application
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 08:31:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Rami,
In order to isolate the required core we add isolcpus to the grub:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="default_hugepagesz=2M hugepagesz=1G hugepages=8
isolcpus=1-5"

To disable hyperthreading for these cores we add command to the rcl.local:
(which in fact disables the peer logical core)
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu23/online
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu24/online
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu25/online
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu26/online
echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu27/online

our dpdk application runs on cores 1-5: --lcores='(0,4-6)@5,1@1,2@2,3@3,7@4'

But cpu isolation does not prevent from kernel processes/threads from
running on isolated cpus.
Running java based applications on the same server with a dpdk based
application has an impact on the dpdk performance.
Probably since the JVM generates kernel based processes. It can be either
GC (garbage collection) or other operations.
We are looking for a way to prevent these kernel threads from using the
isolated cores.

Thanks,
Shirley.