From: Aziz Hajee <aziz@saisei.com>
To: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: [dpdk-dev] vmware vmxnet3-usermap AND DPDK VMXNET3 PMD
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 16:47:01 -0800	[thread overview]

I am using the dpdk1.6.0r1
I could not find a complete clarification, sorry if missed.
VMXNET3 PMD
============
I have enabled the VMXNET3 PMD  in the dpdk.
 # Compile burst-oriented VMXNET3 PMD driver
 #

CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VMXNET3_PMD=y
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VMXNET3_DEBUG_INIT=y
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VMXNET3_DEBUG_RX=n
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VMXNET3_DEBUG_TX=n
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VMXNET3_DEBUG_TX_FREE=n
The Intel DPDK VMXNET3 PMD driver does not support mbuf chaining, and I
have to set NOMULTSEGS for the vmxnet3 interface init to succeed.
tx_conf.txq_flags =  ETH_TXQ_FLAGS_NOMULTSEGS
Is there a later version of DPDK that supports multiseg for the dpdk
VMXNET3 PMD.

vmware vmxnet3-usermap AND  DPDK VMXNET3 PMD
Is the vmxnet3-usermap.ko module driver also needed ? (appears that I need,
otherwise the eal initialise fails.
sudo insmod ./vmxnet3-usermap.ko enable_shm=2,2 num_rqs=1,1 num_rxds=2048
num_txds=2048

I do not understand if VMXNET3 PMD is there, what is the purpose of
/vmxnet3-usermap.ko/vmxnet3-usermap.ko ?

>From some responses i saw that the following ifdef RTE_EAL_UNBIND_PORTS is
also need to be removed in lib/librte_pmd_vmxnet3/vmxnet3_ethdev.c ?
     {
         .name = "rte_vmxnet3_pmd",
         .id_table = pci_id_vmxnet3_map,
-#ifdef RTE_EAL_UNBIND_PORTS
+// #ifdef RTE_EAL_UNBIND_PORTS
         .drv_flags = RTE_PCI_DRV_NEED_IGB_UIO,
-#endif
+// #endif
     },
     .eth_dev_init = eth_vmxnet3_dev_init,
     .dev_private_size = sizeof(struct vmxnet3_adapter),

thanks,
-aziz